Add Tracking API // INVALID_TRACKING_NUMBER

qm_bryan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, 

We are trying to update tracking information on individual transaction IDs however every type has failed. Here is an example request:

This transaction ID was processed on the associated Paypal account, the tracking ID is valid, and auth headers are valid as well.

PUT: https://api.paypal.com/v1/shipping/trackers/30S36399K1229483C-9400110895343257614572

Content-Type: application/json

Body: 

{
	"transaction_id": "30S36399K1229483C",
	"tracking_number": "9400110895343257614572",
	"status": "SHIPPED",
	"carrier": "USPS"
}

Response:

{
    "name": "INVALID_TRACKING_NUMBER",
    "message": "The requested resource ID was not found",
    "debug_id": "b56a7b5e9cac6",
    "details": [
        {
            "field": "tracker_id",
            "value": "30S36399K1229483C-9400110895343257614572",
            "location": "path",
            "issue": "INVALID_TRACKING_INFO"
        }
    ],
    "links": []
}

Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

-Bryan

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

shawnz
Contributor
Contributor

Just a guess here, but are you using the "seller transaction ID" aka the "capture ID", or are you using the "buyer transaction ID"? I'm guessing it must be the seller transaction ID, not the buyer transaction ID.

Login to Me Too

qm_bryan
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the thought. However, the transaction ID we are utilizing appears to be the proper one. When transaction_id is modified in this request (body and url param), the same endpoint returns INVALID_TRANSACTION_ID which leads me to further believe it is some issue with the tracking number or carrier validation itself.

Would appreciate any additional insight.

-Bryan

Login to Me Too

shawnz
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Does it also give the error for carriers besides USPS? In the docs they give a fedex number as an example, "443844607820". Do you get the same error with that one?

Login to Me Too

qm_bryan
Contributor
Contributor

That's correct. I have attempted with the example Fedex carrier and tracking number to the same result as initially. I also tried with carrier set to "OTHER" and still the same result which is peculiar to me.

Lastly, I attempted to send my initial USPS request to the "Trackers batch" endpoint and it was successful (albeit 10+ second response time for a single tracker). I don't need the individual endpoint but I will submit this information to Paypal regardless.

Thanks for your help Shawn.

-Bryan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.