Paypal Plug-in Secure Card Generator Discontinued?!

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

This STINKS! It looks like the Paypal Plug-in has been abandoned entirely (I’m in the US)…

I created a new account less than a month ago, downloaded the Paypal Plugin Secured Cards app and was notified that I’d have to wait 30 days for it to be active “for security purposes” [I'm sure]… I have about 12 more days until I was SUPPOSED to be able to use it…

As I was VERY thrilled about the aspect of using the Paypal Plugin, I was trying to show my friend the app today and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?! The application loads and brings me to the paypal site and instead of it displaying all of the info about the Paypal Plugin it says PAYPAL PLUG-IN, NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

Wow Paypal, not announced as a discontinued product ANYWHERE on your site (that I could find), just literally dissapeared as if it never existed, half your account reps dont even know it after I made several calls in and they asked other reps among them…

I’m extremely dissapointed as I was looking forward to using iPaypal Plug-in and especially since I have to wait about 40 days to get the regular Paypal card now…it would have been GREAT to use the Paypal Plug-in sooner. Maybe since the plugin is "no longer available" the Paypal Debit Card should be offered sooner so my business doesn't have to suffer while I wait to deposit funds into my bank account so I can turn around and buy products that my customers ordered from me.

Please note:: I'm NOT trying to bash Paypal as it's been GREAT in terms of integration into our shopping cart software and easy to use, safe, secure, etc...but from my point of view, where I need the Paypal Debit Card sooner than later and I was EXPECTING to be able to use the Paypal Plug-in as a "work-around" THIRTY DAYS before I could have used the Paypal Plug-in, this is a severe dissapointment to me and my business partners.

PLEASE BRING THE PAYPAL PLUG-IN BACK!!! =’(

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! Does anyone from Paypal have a reason/excuse as to why this seemingly cool & useful product would dissapear with absolutely no formal reason/acknowledgement from the company that developed it? (again I may be wrong, but I could not find any info about the app being discontinued, nor have any of the support articles for the program been updated to say that Virtual Cards are gone, and so is the Paypal Plug-in)

This makes me lose faith in RELYING on a system that in the future like this, because how am I supposed to be able to develop a "standard operating platform/procedure" all the while knowing that the product might randomly go away? Obviously I'll have to rely on the Paypal Debit Card and my other back-up funding accounts, but this whole thing just hurts =( haha.

Any comments or reasonings here would be appreciated. Thanks 😃

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

paintballmavin
Contributor
Contributor

I too would love to know why this has been discontinued, & if it is ever coming back.  I thought this was the neatest idea since sliced bread - I could easily pay for items,even on public computers, in relative safety, without lugging ANOTHER card around.  At least a LITTL information would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too

desertlilly
Contributor
Contributor

I have had several embarassments due to this discontinuance of this part of Paypal. Hope we can get it back soon

@paintballmavin wrote:

I too would love to know why this has been discontinued, & if it is ever coming back.  I thought this was the neatest idea since sliced bread - I could easily pay for items,even on public computers, in relative safety, without lugging ANOTHER card around.  At least a LITTL information would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too

partlocator
Contributor
Contributor

Since I'm a mac user and don't use the plugin, I thought it was just a programming error.  I LOVED using the secure card (virtual card).  When I went to generate a secure card to buy a $300 item from Amazon I couldn't access the link for mac users.  Amazon doesn't take PayPal.  Buy.com does but the printer was more expensive and didn't include free shipping.

MAJOR BUMMER!!!

I wonder what's going to happen when the multiple use card I generated months ago gets charged for my recurring monthly online subscription????

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

I just used the Paypal secure card in the last hour.  It seems to be working - the charge shows up on my Paypal acct.  Are you talking about just the auto-plugin that you can put on your browser header, or the whole mechanism of secure cards?  I hope this is just a glitch in the system.  I like using one-time only secure cards since there is so much identity theft problems out there.

If anyone else uses a secure card soon, please post.  

Thanks

(And yes, Paypal is getting as bad as Ebay as far as cust. svc)

Login to Me Too

andydam
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you get the generator? I just read about it online, and realized what an awesome product it is, but after clicking the Secure Card link, it says its no longer available.

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

After I sign in, I go to my account overview page.  On the right, under My Account Tools, is the PayPal Plugin.  When you click on that, you it takes you to the main Paypal Plugin page.  Click on Secure Card on the left side.  Then go into the Secure Card box and hit "generate a new card" tab - follow the instructions.

Good luck.  I just checked it out again and I didn't get a problem/cancellation announcement.   ???

Login to Me Too

Securitycameras
Contributor
Contributor

After going through all the voice prompts I finally got though to a live person. He stated they canceled the program for the secure card BUT if you already have it installed on your computer then you can still use it. I told him I had to reimage my computer and I didnt have it anymore and he said I was out of luck.

Login to Me Too

GuinnessGulper
Contributor
Contributor

"installed on your computer" is a lie, I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and had to redownload and install the plugin and it's still available and works just great.  The file is still downloadable from Paypal site.  The plugin section is still the same on my account and the whole thing is just working great.  Now maybe they did discontinue it for new users, but it has nothing to do with whether it's installed on your computer, it depends on whether you already have your account set up with it and have used it before.  If you just need to reinstall the plugin on a new computer it should work fine, I just did it 30 seconds ago...

Login to Me Too

Securitycameras
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmmmmm.... weird, cause I had been using it for a while. and I did go back to the site to redownload it and it brings me to the discontinue page. If you could download the plugin and email it to me at "josssk (at) yahoo (dot) com" I'd appreciate it as I can not find it anywhere.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.