pay in 4 charged me the full amount

maddiebeaz94
Contributor
Contributor

I used paypal pay in 4 and immediately had a pending authorization for the full amount of the item and a pending transaction for the first of 4 payments. Is this normal? When I use afterpay I only get charged the first of 4 payments - not the entire amount.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Yesicamm96
New Community Member
Hi! I’m having the same problem, did you ever get this resolved?
Login to Me Too

benball
New Community Member

Hello, it's not a problem; it's just a way of acknowledging that paypal paid the full amount to the vendor whilst initializing the Pay In 4 method; as my debit account only got charged the 1/4 Pay In 4 payment despite reflecting that AND the full amount on Paypal.

Login to Me Too

denise0672

So you got the full amount refunded?  Because I did a transaction today, and my bank account shows, the pending full amount, plus the pending 1/4 of pay 4.   I can't seem to get resolution with paypal. 

Login to Me Too

Tthomas_12219
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me no one can seem to answer this question.
Login to Me Too

Nik45
This happened to me too. Did you get it resolved?
Login to Me Too

Jgrondin
Contributor
Contributor
Me too. Why did I use Pay/4 then? Paypal made my account negative, they withdrew the money with - NO WARNING -. I made a Bed, B & B purchase on 2/15 of $126 TOTAL and chose PayPal pay/4. Approved, it did its thing, on 2/16 it was shown deducted from my bank account in the amount of $94 (shows now to be ‘completed’). I have a $29 ‘pending’ (withdrawn also) and there’s a random total of $118 which is questionable But the kicker is: Shows 0/4 payments on my “pay/4” made ??? Dafuq??
Login to Me Too

DuaneGib
New Community Member
Paypal pay in 4 has done the same thing to me and I'm **bleep**. Set up a pay in 4 for a purchase of $311.64 and PayPal took the pay in 4 payment of $77.91 and the full amount of $311.64 out of my account without my consent. I agreed to pay in 4 not PAY IN FULL. I contacted PayPal and they are no help at all. I was told "sorry" but since the payment was "captured" there's nothing they can do. They confirmed that I was approved for the pay in 4 but only agreed to refund me the payment from the pay in 4 of 77.91. They took a total $389.55 out of my account during a pandemic and now I have to find a way to survive for the next week with little to no funds available to me. At this point I'm done with PayPal. I will pay through company sites using there secure payment method.
Login to Me Too

Just had this happen for 4 separate “approvals”. Been using pay in 4 on and off since about November and I’ve never had this happen til this last few weeks, now I am REALLY negative in my bank account because of it. About to completely break up with PayPal.... they need to figure this out if they are going to offer and approve yet still take the full amount PLUS THE FIRST PAY IN 4 PAYMENT. Seriously wtf

Login to Me Too

LoveG1
New Community Member
Same thing just happened to me. What should I do?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.