Why does PayPal Business Debit card NEVER work on eBay?

XI
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I would like to know if PayPal OR eBay block the PayPal Business Debit card from being used on eBay as each and every time I try to purchase something with it on eBay I get error message "We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details."

I've also added this card for automatic payment of eBay fees, but each and every month payment fails to be taken.

When I call PayPal they have no clue why these transaction are being rejected. My theory is that PayPal\eBay are blocking payment via this card because they already know you have a PayPal account and want you to use the balance there so as they don't have to payout the cash back we would get from using the card.

Please advise.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

XI
Contributor
Contributor

Will a mod please reply. It's clear you are blocking ebay purchases as you know the user already has a PayPal account and so push them to use the balance directly, rather than using the PayPal Debit card so as you avoid paying cashback. It's not just me that's unable to use card on ebay either as several others have confirmed, so will you just come out and confirm that you block ebay purchases please?

As most of my purchases are on ebay, there is really no point in me having this card now. Very disappointing!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @XI,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum.

I can assure you that we are not specifically preventing the PayPal Business Debit card to be used on eBay. Our system reviews every payment before it's completed and sometimes, for security reasons, a payment method may be made unavailable. Unfortunately, we would not be able to manually change the security settings. However, you can try clearing your cache and cookies, deleting your browser history and waiting for 48 hours without accessing your account to let the system reset. This may help you solve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Martina 

Login to Me Too

XI
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Thank you for your reply, but this has absolutely nothing to do with cache and cookies, deleting your browser history etc. I'm surprised you haven't asked 'did you try turning your computer off and on again?'.

I understand all about debit and credit card securely, but not ONCE has any of my other cards failed on ebay, yet the PayPal Business debit card hasn't ONCE been accepted, even for tiny purchases (£2.99). As advised this is not just a problem for me as many others have reported the exact same issue. Sorry but I cannot accept that this is simply a security issue, and as PayPal are unwilling to even accept there is an issue, I think it's very clear that PayPal is indeed blocking ebay purchases to avoid paying out on cashback.

Login to Me Too

Nadia92
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it for a purchase on eBay too and it also comes up with an error message! It’s very unfair if PayPal is purposely blocking these transactions!

Login to Me Too

XI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nadia92

Thank you for confirming this is a problem for you too. Unfortunately PayPal still won't recognize the issue or admit to blocking eBay transactions, so it's unlikely to be resolved any time soon. If people keep posting however confirming they too are having the same issue, then PayPal might then take this seriously.

XI

Login to Me Too

Nadia92
Contributor
Contributor
It infuriates me because I purchase quite a few pricey items on eBay, so hoped to maximise the cashback on my purchases. I called today and receievd a patronising "have you even activated your card?" response. They later explained a few things. 1. The backup funding is for small amounts, it isnt to replace a bank card, so let's say you want to buy an item that cost £4.50 but only have £3.90 in your account, it will request the rest from the bank. They said it is to prevent "taking over" the use of your normal bank card. They also said it will almost always decline if you have nothing in your account because it works on having PayPal credit. So despite having that function on to "automatically withdraw money from you backup funding", it is to only be used in "emergency" situations. 2. The PayPal card is to be used where paypal isnt normally accepted. I.e.. small local shops, department store, for travelling and withdrawing cash abroad.. etc.. they said if a website already uses paypal, then it wouldnt work because PayPal is already a feature so you cannot use a paypal card when the option to use paypal is already there, hence losing the 0.5% cashback. 3. I was also told a few people have called in to complain about the card not working on eBay. I think it is to do with cashback, they probably want to prevent people getting extra cashback on eBay purchases, eBay is a massive platform, with items of varying prices, so a lot of money would be dished out to us consumers if we constantly used it on there. So yeah, I'm annoyed me to be honest, the deal was too good to be true. I'm worried to try it in store now, it'll be embarrassing if it declined! Oh and finally, I was told to try my card in an "ATM" and that it should definitely work after that, to which I replied.. "if it has been activated online and manually activated on via our telephone call..I doubt an ATM would make any difference to my eBay transaction" the whole idea of allowing it to be activated online is to prevent going to an ATM! OVERALL.. discussion was pointless.. card doesnt help me for my eBay purchases and whilst I have a business account, I routinely withdraw my funds to my main bank account, so unless I remember to keep it in paypal to use for purchases, it'll be a hassle to transfer funds back into my PayPal to justify a very small 0.5%. I may as well continue using my cashback sites! Sorry this just irritates me that they havent provided a proper excuse for this and you're right in your earlier message, it is sheer avoidance!
Login to Me Too

WesBone123
New Community Member
This has been happening to me for a week or two I've been making hundreds actually thousands of dollars in purchases. I talked to a representative and they were not even able to see where my card was being declined. It is apparent that the system is refusing the transaction just by knowing it is a PayPal debit card and they do not ever even attempt to charge the card. Right now they are offering 2% cash back and with my purchases that I was not able to use that card for I would have got at least $50 in the last week alone... What a rip off... Wonder if MasterCard allows this? I thought the MasterCard is able to be used anywhere that MasterCard is accepted?????????
Login to Me Too

Ervinx
Contributor
Contributor

I have Paypal Business Debit Mastercard and I have the same experience on ebay.uk: 'Your payment didn't go through. Please check your payment details or select a different payment option'. Very disappointing. I have tried on my other eBay account and it is the same. I am able to shop on most websites, but not on eBay. I hope they will get a lot of complaints, so they will eventually fix this or at least they will give us some reasonable explanation.

Login to Me Too

XI
Contributor
Contributor

I've spoken to PayPal 'Customer Service' a number of times regarding this and they point blank refuse to even acknowledge the problem and simply play dumb. All they repeat is "it should work".

My theory is this, PayPal already know eBay users have PayPal, and so force you to pay directly via PayPal in order to avoid paying out the 1% cashback. This is why they block the card on eBay purchases.

Total scam.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.