Why are they asking for a picture of my SSN?

SinKnight
Contributor
Contributor

I was reading the requirements that they ask in order to request a Paypal cash card and they said that they were going to ask for my ID and the 4 last digits of my SSN but they never said anything about a picture of my full SSN card and it asked me that when going in the process of requesting a Paypal cash card. That makes me mad because they didn't say that they were going to ask for a picture.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SinKnight 

Read the fine print:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/cash-card

"Approval contingent on ID verification. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW CARD ACCOUNT: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see a copy of your driver’s license OR other identifying documents."

If you're on the PayPal site directly applying for the card, it should be okay to provide a scan of SSN if there is an upload function (paypal asks for scans of docs with account limitations as well so it's not that requesting personal docs is a new thing for them).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SinKnight 

Read the fine print:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/cash-card

"Approval contingent on ID verification. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW CARD ACCOUNT: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see a copy of your driver’s license OR other identifying documents."

If you're on the PayPal site directly applying for the card, it should be okay to provide a scan of SSN if there is an upload function (paypal asks for scans of docs with account limitations as well so it's not that requesting personal docs is a new thing for them).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.