Underpaid Postage?

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

I have been selling and shipping and using Paypal for I would guess 20 years. I have NEVER had an issue with not weighing or measuring correctly. Today I get an email saying I owe for underpaid postage. This is a package that was sent and delivered at the beginning of December. They are saying the weight is correct but the dimensions are wrong. They are saying the package was 4 inches longer and 5 inches thicker than I claimed. There is no way. The BAG i shipped it in couldnt even stretch to 11 inches. Im just so confused. I already paid $16.34 in postage and they are asking for another $18.51. If I have to pay this I basically gave away what the person purchased. I messaged Paypal thru their system since I dont see a way to email, lets see how long it takes them to reply. I cannot print any postage labels until I pay this postage discrepancy. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

gj-mom
Contributor
Contributor

I think we are being scammed by Paypal. I just had the exact same thing happen to me! I have spent my whole day on the phone with USPS customer service, 2 post offices, and Paypal Customer service. I shipped a book via media mail like have been doing with my business for 7 years. USPS has found nothing wrong with my shipment. I shipped it December 1st and it was delivered on December 7th. January 3rd 2021 I got a message saying that I owe $12.25 for underpaid postage. USPS says there was NO UNDERPAID POSTAGE filed on my account or on that package. Paypal says it's not their issue because it was purchased via Paypal but for a USPS label. Do you think somebody in Paypal is making money off of scamming people. If they get us to "just pay it" so we can continue shipping with our business then they will keep on scamming. 

Login to Me Too

dreamsicle4
Contributor
Contributor

I just got an email for under paid postage as well.  The thing is I put everything is and it is exactly as they say it was wrong.  I went to USPS and did the calculation and yes PayPal shipping label charged me a lower amount.  I actually think in my case that PayPal calculated incorrect but how am I suppose to know that when I am using their product and depend on it to be correct.   I now owe an additional $40 for shipping that I had no clue I should owe and the package in question was shipped a couple weeks ago and I am just getting the notice.   Not sure how we let PayPal know that they need to look into their shipping issues.  

Recorded dimension - 19in x 14in x 12in

Actual dimension - 19in x 14in x 12in

Login to Me Too

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal shipping is lower because it is at a discount but not $40. Was your weight correct? Cause obviously your dimensions were fine. I messaged paypal thru their messaging system and they responded and said I have to go thru the post office. They gave me an email to contact them. I package was delivered almost a month before I got an email for underpaid postage. Its ridiculous. Definitely click contact us on paypal and message them thru their system, I couldnt find an email to contact them. 

Login to Me Too

dreamsicle4
Contributor
Contributor

Yes as far as I know the weight was correct I put weighted it on my scale that I use.  Didn't have any issues with any other packages.  I did contact PayPal as well to let them know.  Because when I did the same thing in USPS calculate price it was way more than what I paid so I get that I owe the money but I don't want this happening all the time and I don't want to check every package I mail with USPS if I need to do that I will go back to creating my labels on their site.   I have never had a underpaid situation before so now I am nervous about shipping using PayPal shipping labels

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.