Unauthorized Hard Inquiry on Equifax Credit Report

Pal102
New Community Member

On March 16, 2018, I received an alert from credit karma, telling me that a hard inquiry had been made on my credit, and that my credit score was lowered because of it.  I never authorized this inquiry.  The inquiry was made by: CCB/PPC  at <removed>, TIMONIUM, MD 21093, and the phone number suppied belongs to National Credit Card Cos, and it is <removed>.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

mmkwayaya
Did you get this resolved? This just hit my credit file on Jan 13, 2020. Am two weeks from closing on a House and I get this. I need to get a resolution asap, anyone with info please HELP
Login to Me Too

Rnreekez
Contributor
Contributor

Well here it is in September, and I too was just informed a couple of hours ago about a hard inquiry from SYNCB/PPC .  As those of you know, this is not acceptable.  However, when I pushed back after being told I have to write them and let them know, they found that someone did apply for credit.

As such, I have to wait for an investigation, and they will send the paperwork for me to sign.  I just locked my Equifax account.

I will keep you all posted on the results.

Login to Me Too

Rnreekez
Contributor
Contributor

So SYNCB/PPC has decided that fraud caused this issue.  Yet they sent me paperwork that I had to return, an affidavit, saying it wasn't me that requested the card.  Not to mention, they wanted a witness to sign and attest that I signed the form.

As I have not heard the fat lady sing, (no offence meant to curvacious women), I will keep you all up to date on this issue.  

As "oops, you are a victim of fraud" excuse is insufficient.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

If Synchrony Bank bought the PAYPAL LOAN PORTFOLIO,It is Synchrony which initiates the inquiry.

why not call Synchrony?

or ask an expert if this is proper protocol if a bank acquires a loan portfolio ,does it review the credit quality of that portfolio?

how does it know how much it should pay for that portfolio if it does not check the credit of the debtors?

Login to Me Too

Hwestin
Contributor
Contributor
I called PayPal to complain and they tried to spin it by congratulating me on how good my credit was and offering me a credit card! When that didn’t work they told me I wouldn’t be able to use a paypal balance anymore without the credit card (which I never used anyway). Complete and utter criminal **bleep**! They completely evaded my questions and used my call aS if it were a warm lead to respond to. I don’t know if there is new management or if the company is just drunk but this is unacceptable.
Login to Me Too

LIsleB
New Community Member

I received an e-mail from Credit Wise saying Hard Inquiry from SyncB/PayPal.  I'll start with PayPal in the morning and go from there.

Login to Me Too

crhoderick
New Community Member

This just happened to me yesterday May 6, 2019. Talked to Paypal and they aren't showing it on their end.  I haven't applied for credit with anyone in the past 3 months so this is very frustrating and makes me very nervous.  Did anyone else get any results or have issues because of the inquiry?

Login to Me Too

Mswandaboo
Contributor
Contributor

I woke up this morning with the same email credit alert...Happy Mother's Day to me!!!! I don't know what's going on, but I'm sure gonna try and find out. Thanks for the forum guys...at least I'm not alone on this **bleep**...

Login to Me Too

Sonicbliss62
Well it happened to me today 7/27/2019 hard inquiry from SYNCB/PPC I'm fit to be tied!! Unauthorized theft identity! Credit Karma notification came through. It's the weekend but you can bet I'm going to go ballistic Monday. I called all 3 credit reporting agencies experian, Trans union, and equifax and put a security freeze on all credit reporting to opening new accounts.. But, still have a 8 percent hit on my Trans union .. I WILL SUE IF I HAVE TO!
Login to Me Too

panamachica3
Contributor
Contributor
I spoke with someone in June about this and it still hasn’t been fixed. The hard inquiry is still on my report!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.