Selling Online Course

Maroman
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I'm looking forward to sell an online course and will be useing Paypal as my payment gateaway. I will be providing the buyers with an invoice for thier purchase. After payment the buyer will provide me with a username and password to access the platform in which he will have access to all resources of thr course. As a seller does Paypal protect me in case a buyer decides to download my material and issue a chargeback or dispute, basically taking the stuff for free? And if a buyer does the above, how I as a seller can protect myself and what documents/proof I need to submit to Paypal to fight unfair chargebacks?
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maroman

You have no seller protection for virtual / digital content.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Maroman
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Thank you for your reply I wish the answer was different haha Paypal is currently my only option and most of my customers will pay with Paypal, so I will be losing if I tried anything else. According to the seller protection policy intangible goods are covered under seller protection. Surely there is some proof I can provide if a buyer purchased, downloaded my videos, then chargedback, What is the point of using Paypal then?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maroman

To be honest? Very little point if you are selling that sort of item.

However as its one of the payment methods that buyers like to use its a toss up as to whether to take the risk or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Maroman
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Heard elsewhere the only way to protect me in such case is if I burned the videos on a CD and mail it to the buyer, this way I would have tracking info I can provide to Paypal and in such case I would be protected. Can this be a solution?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maroman

YES  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Maroman
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass Pretty strange for paypal to not cover sellers like that. Even on this page:https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/digital-products They make it seem like its a good option for us sellers to sell our digital goods/ services with peace of mind but in reality things aren't that rosey. I'm a bit let down to be honest. Surely there is no protection at all for sellers? Any kind of protection?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maroman

Basic requirements

To be eligible for PayPal’s Seller Protection, you must meet all of the following requirements 

• The primary address for your PayPal account must be in the United States.
  • The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
  • You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction.  If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.
  • You must respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner as requested in our email correspondence with you or in our correspondence with you through the Resolution Center. If you do not respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, you may not be eligible for Seller Protection.
  • If the sale involves pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, you must ship within the timeframe you specified in the listing. Otherwise, it is recommended that you ship all items within 7 days after receipt of payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Maroman
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thanks for your reply.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.