Received unsolicited PayPal cash debit card

Mimi702
New Community Member

My father received a PayPal Cash Plus Debit card in his name - but he doesn’t even have a PayPal account! I’m sure this is fraud but there’s no option to contact PayPal online unless you have an account. This is D-U-M-B. We tried calling the numbers we found online, and after going through their voicejail system it finally seemed to understand that we were trying to report fraud. A canned voice said “We’re sorry but we are unable to process this kind of request via phone at this time. Goodbye!” Then the system hung up. We tried chat, but the chatbot doesn’t even understand “report fraud”. It is impossible to contact a real live person at PayPal. My father is concerned that his identity has been compromised. PayPal obviously doesn’t care. He does not even have, nor has he ever had, a PayPal account! 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Jobarra
Contributor
Contributor

I also received an unsolicited PayPal Cash Debit card.  I do have a Paypal account, but I have not used it in at least 5 years.  Also, my SSN was used for this as I had to enter the last 4 to verify when calling support at the useless Bancorp Bank support line.  I also received the same response of "We’re sorry but we are unable to process this kind of request via phone at this time. Goodbye!".  I have sent a private message to the twitter account of Paypal as I am not sure what else to do.  First time using Twitter, so I am just hoping I did it right.

Also, the exact same day I also received an unsolicited debit card for another application.  I have never used that application.  I guess I can thank Equifax for most likely leaking the information that has lead to all this criminal activity. 

Login to Me Too

Jobarra
Contributor
Contributor

FYI: Even the online messaging app is useless.  They responded saying to call the bank, but of course the bank tells me they cannot resolve the issue over the phone (and no other way to resolve the issue is presented).  I responded with that information and I just received a response... that is an copy and paste of the information telling me to call the bank.

Login to Me Too

tdhope
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! I have the exact same problem and issue. My wife, who has dementia and no PayPal account received a card. Tried the messaging app and called twice with the same result others have had. There must be a way to let them know this is happening. So very frustrating.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.