Phishing

PeterAnko
Contributor
Contributor

I thought I had gone to the PayPal website.

Then tried to log in and found that it said my account had been closed due to a technical issues.

I then called the number:

Hold!!! We Have Detected Some Suspicious Activites into Your Account. Call Customer Support, Verify Your Identity And Get Your Account Unblocked. Contact Customer Support 1800 861 186unt has some technical issues.

I called the number had someone anwser from overseas with a strange accent. Said he was some mangager and that my account had been hacked by someone in Hong Kong putting through a $1700 + amount for travel. I though is strange as the world has been shut down for travel at this time.

However, I was put though to technical departement. This was done by the mangager giving the phone to someone next to him. He then asked me to go into my computer to find out where this hacker was coming from. 

That's when I thought there was something wrong. Fraud do not go into YOUR computer to find out where the hacker or fraud is transpring. Then I hung up the phone, to my surprise they ended up ringing back 3 seperate times when I hung up on them. 

Last was when I said I'm going to ring the Bank to verifiy what they were talking about.

Please be careful if you find a PayPal site that says your account had a technical issue and the people at the other end ask you to go into your computer.

Don't do it.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Raprap_
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @PeterAnko. Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s extremely important to report any suspected instances of fraud. If you think your account has been compromised change your password and update your security questions right away to protect your account. I suggest clearing your browsing history for extra security. Thank you for your business and be safe.

Login to Me Too

PeterAnko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raprap_,

Thank you for your reply.

I did exactly that straight after the incident and also contacted my bank to report any unusual transactions from me or from some other part of the world.

Login to Me Too

PeterAnko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raprap_,

I've done what needed to be done. However, I'm a little disappointed that it's taken so long for anyone from paypal to get back to me.

I tried to call someone however, it's that difficult to get through I may as well have tried to call the president of North Korea. The only option left was this site and now it's almost a week later.

A little disappointed it took so long.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.