cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

SOLVED
New Community Member

Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

I have been asked by paypal to buy a $100 iTunes gift card before I can receive my payment that has been sent to me. They said they will accredit my account the $100 buy why would I need to buy a ITunes card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Advisor

Re: They told me to buy steam cards

@Abelaragon 

Its a SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question or issue you a refund etc?

Or get you to buy steam cards to make a withdrawal  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
17 REPLIES 17
New Community Member

Re: Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

Same thing happened to me this morning. But I think it was definitely a scam. Some dude named David <removed> was the one listed as sending payment

Esteemed Advisor

@Rein92

@Kristaylor481

SCAM.

They try lots of tricks and one of them is that they have overpaid and you must repay them via itunes etc or walmart before the funds are credited.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union / Itunes etc.
Delete the emails and ignore the scammers.

New Community Member

Someone told me "I run a business account and my apple ID is linked with my bank account. And you're getting paid directly from my bank" must be scam right????

Contributor

I was told to buy 5 google cards so PayPal can refund me 1500.00 that was taken as a loan in my name by a hacker today. Scammer gave me a name Kevin Jones and badge #977368. He had a heavy Indian accent.

Me too. He wanted me to get 2 $100 Google play cards and give him the codes. That is fraud. Paypal wanted me to prove my address my social security number wanted a copy of my drivers license and a copy of a bill to prove I am me. I jumped through all their hoops and still can't access my account. I'm contacting the attorney general.
Esteemed Advisor

@KIRVIA 

You have been scammed.

That was not paypal that you called it was a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.

I guess you got that number either via google OR a scammer posting a thread in this forum.

Most times the threads get reported and removed but some slip through.

You can tell them because they post genuine advice but the phone number in a strange format to get around paypals security.

That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.

The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to hit the 'call us' option to phone them by logging in and getting a code.

Contributor

If the exchange of money sounds too good to be true, its phishing

I fell for the phishing scam today with the request for photo ID and selfies. It's a very sly scam that showed almost no hallmarks of being one, and me being duped by someone claiming to want to buy my second-hand product over the asking price. I'm now $350 poorer after sending that amount in flexepin credit. I feel so stupid for not seeing how rediculous the steps I had to take in order to sell something. I'm absolutely raging at the scammers for being so crafty.

Contributor

What did you do did anyone help you at all?
New Community Member

Scammer tried to have me send 2 iTunes gift cards worth $100 a piece plus send the item I’m selling. Before I could “receive” payment oh and willing to pay me $50 more for my used item and What is extremely pushy told me to get to the post office now many times at first I said I’m at work I can’t they don’t care I’m glad I’m not an idiot at least this time