Paypal asking me to buy $100 itunes gift card to recieve payment

Rein92
New Community Member

I have been asked by paypal to buy a $100 iTunes gift card before I can receive my payment that has been sent to me. They said they will accredit my account the $100 buy why would I need to buy a ITunes card?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Abelaragon 

Its a SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question or issue you a refund etc?

Or get you to buy steam cards to make a withdrawal  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

Kristaylor481
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me this morning. But I think it was definitely a scam. Some dude named David <removed> was the one listed as sending payment

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rein92

@Kristaylor481

SCAM.

They try lots of tricks and one of them is that they have overpaid and you must repay them via itunes etc or walmart before the funds are credited.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union / Itunes etc.
Delete the emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Brooklyn42000
Contributor
Contributor
What was David’s last name ?? I had some guy name David asking me to send him $100 ebay cards and $100 steam cards and then he will verify the $4,300,00 he apparently sent to my account after I gave him my paypal it said the money was actually sent to my account but he needed $100 to send it to me how do I know if this is a real or fake I haven’t bought the card yet but he did send a screen of his paypal saying money sent to Brooke. But it doesn’t say it needs to verify
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brooklyn42000 

How many more times do i have to post this, IT IS A SCAM.

Paypal do NOT tell a seller to buy gift vouchers from ANYWHERE for account related issues, especially not from other companies.

If you spoke on the phone it was a fake phone number / if its an email then its a fake email.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DiegoLindarte

rowland ?

Login to Me Too

IrahG
New Community Member

Someone told me "I run a business account and my apple ID is linked with my bank account. And you're getting paid directly from my bank" must be scam right????

Login to Me Too

tootsietwinkle
New Community Member

This is exactly what I got, but it was for Google Play and then for Steam. He even sent me a screenshot of the app asking for the verification link that said 60% loaded. It feels very unsafe to me. 

Login to Me Too

MG58
Contributor
Contributor
I was told to buy 5 google cards so PayPal can refund me 1500.00 that was taken as a loan in my name by a hacker today. Scammer gave me a name Kevin Jones and badge #977368. He had a heavy Indian accent.
Login to Me Too

KIRVIA
Me too. He wanted me to get 2 $100 Google play cards and give him the codes. That is fraud. Paypal wanted me to prove my address my social security number wanted a copy of my drivers license and a copy of a bill to prove I am me. I jumped through all their hoops and still can't access my account. I'm contacting the attorney general.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.