Payment completed but 5 days are required for the payment to reach the seller?

pratikb

I made a payment to purchase a product and the payment went through my side but the receiver didn't receive it instantly. It is taking 5 days for the payment to reach the receiver and he is not willing to wait. How do I cancel the payment? or Release it immediately?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

It depends on exactly why it's being held. Was it sent as an e-check? If so, that could take a few days to clear before available on their side.

If it's still pending you might be able to cancel it.  Here's some info on that:  https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ637

If it's not e-check, though, and it shows the payment status is Completed, then it could just be that the transaction is being held on their side until they provide proof of delivery or you verify receipt of the item. In that case they should continue with shipment, and the Completed payment would be released to them soon after delivery.

If it is an e-check, they aren't willing to wait, and you don't see the ability to cancel from your side, then they should be able to trigger the refund and cancel it from their side.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

pratikb

Thanks for replying. 

The payment status is completed. But in my activity tab when  Isee the details of the payment it says the payment will reach the recipient by 21st April (5 days from today). The seller is not giving the product because he wants the payment first. And I am not willing to wait for 5 days. What should I do?

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Okay, that sounds like an e-check then. From the seller side of an e-check you should never delivery a product until that e-check is cleared.

If you don't want to wait on that you can ask them to cancel the order, and they should be able to do that from their side to refund it.

For future reference, if you have a card linked to your PayPal account then you should see it do an "instant transfer". Then if the e-check wasn't able to clear, it would use the card as a backup funding source to cover it. That way the delay doesn't happen.

Hope that helps!

Login to Me Too

pratikb

Its not a echeque payment because I think for echeque I need to have a bank account, my preferred way of payment is card. So all my transaction are instant. So I am sure about it. Also the seller checked on his side he has no option to cancel the transcation.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
When you say you see the details of the payment, where are you seeing that? Is it showing you that date in your transaction details, or did they send you a screenshot or something?

I haven't seen an credit card funded payment provide a date that it will become available from the buyer perspective. It would typically just show Completed on your site, without any info about a future date.

So then on the seller side if it's getting held like that, it's typically from one of the PayPal general holds, and they shouldn't be delaying shipment in that case. They should continue like usual, and after delivery they'd get their funds.

So some of the info here is a little bit unclear to me. I'm with you. If you funded it with a CC then it should be there and they should ship it. So again, did they show you a screenshot, or where are you seeing that future date specifically?
Login to Me Too

pratikb

They asked me to send the payment as a F&F for some reason. I did that. I see the date when i click on transactions.  I see the status completed with a small note at the top saying payment will reach the recipient by 21st April.

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Eww...that's an important detail you left out.

So you don't have a bank linked at all? Typically F&F would default to either PayPal or bank cash.

Do you know this seller very well? You really are not supposed to be sending payments for goods/services using friends/family. That's considered a gift, and if they don't deliver anything, you can't dispute it.

Login to Me Too

pratikb

No I dont have a bank linked at all.

Why is the payment taking 5 days?

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
I'm not sure. Maybe somebody else can step in and help with that part. It must have something to do with using a credit card on a F&F payment, which isn't typically the way that's used.

Usually people asking you to send F&F payment are trying to avoid the fee. When you fund it with a CC, though, there is still a fee. So now they aren't getting what they wanted, you don't have any protection as the buyer, and apparently weird things can happen with the payment date on a CC with F&F.

I would consider it a lesson learned. It's only 5 days. Wait it out, and hopefully it'll clear just fine, they'll ship, and everything will be fine.

In the future, don't use F&F when you're buying something. It's against the AUP, and it only causes problems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.