PayPal wants me to replace my debit card with a PayPal Cash Card, but won't let me request one

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a PayPal personal account holder who currently uses a Business Debit Mastercard to access my PayPal balance. PayPal recently sent me an email message informing me that this is no longer permitted, so I have to replace my current debit card with a PayPal Cash Card by September 4.

However, whenever I click on a link to request the PayPal Cash Card, whether it's in the email or on the PayPal website, I receive the following message that apparently means there's no way I can request the new card. The one PayPal told me I have to request.

Screenshot from 2018-07-18 01-50-21.png

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it looks like PayPal have caught on to the fact that they're sending users down a black hole, because today clicking on the link from their email notice eventually leads to this message:

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 12-15-48.png

So, it sounds like there will still be a period when users have no working card to access their account, but at least there's a guided process for doing the swap. I'll just have to time it right, make some payments ahead of schedule, and pick/clear out a week where I can do without the card.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

klsleppy
Contributor
Contributor
I am currently experiencing the same problem and have yet to find a concrete answer. Part of me refuses to call customer service in fear of receiving a less than helpful response (as is usually the case when contacting any company's customer service). Browsing the online Help Center provided what could be a partial answer to the problem: "No, at this time we’ll only issue one PayPal Cash Card per account." This was in response to a question about having multiple debit cards per account. Perhaps the solution is to close the Business Debit MasterCard and then request the Cash Card? I can't think of anything else. Hopefully someone comes up with an answer soon.
Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@FeRDNYC

@klsleppy

I don't believe PayPal will allow both the Business debit card and the Cash debit card to be on the same account, at the same time.

Login to Me Too

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

@Oregon11 Which makes sense, and fits with @klsleppy's theory. And not even something I want to do.

But it's kind of a leap of faith if I have to cancel my current card, to even be able to request a new one. Even in the best-case scenario, it leaves me without a working card for however long it takes until the Cash Card arrives. And what if I cancel my current card, and requesting the new one still fails?

With most banks / credit card companies, a replacement card arrives unactivated, and activating it automatically disables the old one. In fact that's exactly how my previous Business Debit Mastercard was replaced with the new, chip-enabled one, when I received it.

I understand this isn't quite the same situation, because the Cash Card is a completely different product than the Business Debit card. But at its heart the intended outcome is exactly the same: I want to (actually, I don't, but I'm being told I have to) trade one card for another, with no interruption in my ability to access my account.

Login to Me Too

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

The thing that most frustrates me here is that message when I try to request the Cash Card. I understand that companies are playing their cards closer to their vest these days, and exposing less information to the customer (or apparent customer, there's always the danger of hacking or identity theft in online transactions). But still, I have to believe that the message could be slightly more informative as to the nature of the failure. "Could not request PayPal Cash Card because: There is already a debit card active on your account".

Something, anything more informative than, "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Login to Me Too
Solved

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it looks like PayPal have caught on to the fact that they're sending users down a black hole, because today clicking on the link from their email notice eventually leads to this message:

Screenshot from 2018-07-19 12-15-48.png

So, it sounds like there will still be a period when users have no working card to access their account, but at least there's a guided process for doing the swap. I'll just have to time it right, make some payments ahead of schedule, and pick/clear out a week where I can do without the card.

Login to Me Too

FeRDNYC
Contributor
Contributor

Unreal. It was working, yesterday.

Today, the same exact steps that took me to that other message now give me this, instead:

Screenshot from 2018-07-20 14-31-01.png

So I guess I won't be doing the card swap today. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

What is going on at PayPal? This is starting to feel like a bad sitcom plot.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.