PayPal cancelled a card without my consent - Will that affect my credit score?

liquidnonsense
Contributor
Contributor

I recently contacted support because I still had not received my Paypal Mastercard more than two weeks after getting the email that says "Your card will arrive in 2-5 days!"  The representative on the phone basically told me to just keep waiting for it and report back to them later, but that he would also send out a new card just in case.  A few days later the first card finally showed up in the mail.  Hooray, right?

Nope!  Turns out I couldn't activate that card because, as I later found out, the representative I spoke to had permanently cancelled the first card without my consent, and without even notifying me that he had done it.  Even though I was physically holding the card in my hand, he could not activate it.  This **bleep** me off and shook my trust in PayPal for obvious reasons, but it also brought up another question:  Could this rapidly open-and-closed card hurt my credit score?  I may have to consider more serious action against PayPal if this is the case.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@liquidnonsense

So now you're waiting for the replacement PayPal Extras card?

Login to Me Too

liquidnonsense
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, though it's actually a Cashback Mastercard.  Not sure why this got tagged as Extras Mastercard.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@liquidnonsense

When a PayPal user has the PayPal Cashback credit card issued to them, it will list as the PayPal Extras card in certain places in your account, and possibly on your credit report.

For new sign ups, and when replacement PayPal (credit cards) get ordered, its not uncommon for them to take up to fifteen business days, or three weeks, for the card to be printed, and arrive by USPS.

As for your credit report/score being affected by the card being replaced? All that was done—you had your current card canceled, and a new card, with a new number, mailed to you. There was nothing done to the credit card account itself. The account is still open, and it will still report every month to the three main credit bureaus in the US.

Login to Me Too

liquidnonsense
Contributor
Contributor

Today I finally received my replacement Mastercard and successfully activated it over the phone.  However, it still isn't showing up anywhere in my PayPal account, and I am unable to manually add it to my wallet - unable to process the card.  How can I view my balance and transactions online?  This card seemed like a great option when I applied for it but PayPal has made this a real mess at every step along the way.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@liquidnonsense

If you log into your account from a desktop browser, you should see a link that says PayPal Mastercard, on the left, under your account balance. You should also see the card already listed in your PayPal Wallet as "PayPal Mastercard".

If you are not seeing the card listed in your PayPal account, then, access to the card portal has not yet been added to your PayPal account. You will need to contact Synchrony. Their number is on the back of your card. Tell them that access to the card account online portal hasn't been added to your PayPal account, and they should know how to proceed.

You're not able to add the card to your PayPal Wallet, because its already directly linked to your PayPal account. This is not possible with any PayPal branded card, with the exception of a couple products (this card isn't one of those products).

I'm sorry you're having issues. The PayPal credit card you signed up for is a really excellent card. In the meantime, you can access your card account, and pay any bills over the phone, or through the mail.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.