PayPal Key not working?

phwang
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else unable to complete transactions using their PayPal Key?  I've used it multiple times over the last few weeks, but it stopped working as of yesterday.  PayPal customer support says the issue is with the merchants, but I'm doubtful as I'm experiencing this problem with multiple websites.  One website said to recheck CVV and the other said something was wrong with card details.  I even deleted the PayPal Key and created a new one, but I can't get the transaction to complete.  I see no transactions on my activity summary at all.  I'd like to know if anyone else is having this problem so I could tell PayPal that it's likely something on their end.  I saw a similar post on 9/1, but mine was working back then, so I'm not sure if something else is going on.

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

luvsdeals
New Community Member

I am having similar issues. Mine is working with some merchants Online and mobile apps and not with others. I tried it with the Burger King app both on my Android phone, iOS iPad, and even their website on my computer didn't work. I keep getting issues with having the card go through and it says about checking with my bank. Other places I get issues with my address. I checked with all the merchants and they say must be PayPal.

Login to Me Too

phwang
Contributor
Contributor

Mine actually started working again this afternoon with one of the vendors it failed on 2 days ago (which said CVV was wrong despite being absolutely sure I typed it in correctly).  I'm not sure why it started working, but one of the things I did do was to remove all credit cards from my wallet, adding back the credit card I wanted to use, then linking it to PayPal Key.  I saw other people suggest doing that for other issues, so I gave it a shot.  Whether that helped, I have no clue.

Login to Me Too

jwsm
New Community Member

Using my Paypal key as the payment method for online transactions has also been a hit or miss affair. It's unreliable. I have had a few transactions declined by merchants because they weren't able to process the transactions because of a "problem with the payment method used". I just made two separate purchases at the Microsoft Store and the smaller purchase went through but the other purchase for over $100 didn't. Same key, same merchant, but with two different outcomes. I don't think it's a merchant problem. I think Paypal is flagging some transactions and not allowing them to go through to protect against any questionable or potentially fraudulent transactions.

Login to Me Too

mattness
New Community Member
I have never gotten PayPal key to work. It keeps giving me the message, "there is an issue with the payment method used." When I click the button on that same screen to change the payment method, it gives me a "System Error" message. There is nothing wrong with the payment method, which has all current numerical and expiration information — as well as an ample available balance. I'm not erasing all my cards and adding them back again, as someone else suggested. This product is clearly buggy, and needs more development. I would avoid it.
Login to Me Too

AxelzPPC
New Community Member

My PayPal Key just stopped working a few days ago after working for months. I tried generating a new one, using it on different websites, and relinking payment methods. I sent a message to support but all I heard back was "we confirm your key is active", and a cut and paste tutorial of how to send money using PayPal. If it doesn't end up just fixing itself I guess I'll need to find an alternative.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.