Pay in 3 double charge?

B055Y
Contributor
Contributor

I payed for something using the PayPal pay in 3 plan on the 11 December. I was charged the initial fee upon purchase, but then the next day I noticed a text from PayPal (also received email) Saying they've received a payment from me for the plan. I checked PayPal and it was only saying 1 of 3 payments paid, but I checked my bank statement and I have two identical charges one from the 11 and another from the 12 just slightly over 24 hours from each other. I can only think that this is because PayPal authorised the pay in 3 plan. 

Both payments are still pending in my bank, will I receive one back? or will it eventually count as my second payment? Or is this a total mistake and how can I rectify it?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B055Y 

Read these and see how they fit with what's going on in your account:

How will my PayPal Pay in 3 transaction appear in my PayPal activity?

Why is there a pending authorisation shown in my PayPal activity for my PayPal Pay in 3 transaction?

Could be an authorization, like you said and the PayPal email/text is just notifying you of your first payment going through.

Keep in mind that these are pending authorizations and maybe only one will complete and the other falls off. If they both complete contact PayPal customer service for assistance:

1. Go to: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click PayPal Credit
  3. Click PayPal Pay in 3
  4. Click Message Us or Call Us, after the "This information might help" box or on the green box that pops up.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@B055Y 

Read these and see how they fit with what's going on in your account:

How will my PayPal Pay in 3 transaction appear in my PayPal activity?

Why is there a pending authorisation shown in my PayPal activity for my PayPal Pay in 3 transaction?

Could be an authorization, like you said and the PayPal email/text is just notifying you of your first payment going through.

Keep in mind that these are pending authorizations and maybe only one will complete and the other falls off. If they both complete contact PayPal customer service for assistance:

1. Go to: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click PayPal Credit
  3. Click PayPal Pay in 3
  4. Click Message Us or Call Us, after the "This information might help" box or on the green box that pops up.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

B055Y
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Thanks for the prompt reply. Indeed what I could be seeing is "The first payment and subsequent two payments will each be reflected as separate transactions" and the pre-authorisation payment; it just hasn't been removed yet. I will keep a watchful eye of my bank account and come back when something changes. 

Login to Me Too

Rollie93
Contributor
Contributor
Any luck you received your money back?
Login to Me Too

B055Y
Contributor
Contributor
@Rollie93 Yes after a few days one of the payments went through and the other dropped off.
Login to Me Too

Rollie93
Contributor
Contributor
My issue is I was charged once but on the pay in 3 plan its saying payment received then payment failed for the 1st payment....still waiting for the money to clear back into my account its been 2 days now!
Login to Me Too

Kearnemi
New Community Member
Me too! Ridiculous
Login to Me Too

ThreeTrans
Contributor
Contributor
I also had this issue. After contacting PayPal, they explained that although the double payments was taken from my account, a refund was made to my PayPal account instead of back to my bank account. This is the policy with Pay in 3 transactions. The lady assured me the ‘technical issue’ has been resolved but I don’t think I’ll be using it again just incase.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.