Need help finding the “Request a return shipping refund” option

JEM2019
Contributor
Contributor

I CANNOT find/locate/access the "request a return shipping refund" option by following the instructions provided/detailed from PayPal.

Here's what I've done so far:

(1) I previously "activated" the "return shipping on us" service a month or so ago.

(2) I visited the "refund request page."

(3) I followed instructions #1 and #2 which state: #1 - "To request a refund, go to your account Activity and select 'Request a return shipping refund' in the transaction details"; and, #2 - "Select 'Request a return shipping refund', located in your purchase details, to request a return shipping refund."

NO MATTER WHAT I TRY I CANNOT FIND/LOCATE/ACCESS the "request a return shipping refund" option.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JEM2019

Click on the transaction in your paypal account and the return shipping link is at the bottom of that 'details' page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JEM2019
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but I've done all of that. Maybe the following details are effecting my ability to access the "request a return shipping refund" in some way:

(1) I placed an online order which I paid with PayPal.

(2) The item arrived damaged so I filed a refund request with PayPal.

(3) A day or two after I filed my refund request PayPal sent me an email instructing me to return the item back to the seller on MY dime (meaning I had to pay for the return shipping). The specific instruction were as follows:

"To receive your refund, you need to:

1. Return the item(s) to the seller at the address we provide. If you purchased multiple items with this one transaction, you may only be required to return specific items. Please return the specific items listed below as instructed. If no specific items are listed in this email, then all items from this purchase must be returned in order to receive your refund.
  2. Provide online shipment tracking information in the Resolution Center before January 17, 2019. The returned merchandise must be in the same condition as when you received it and you are responsible for any costs associated with the return. If the transaction was $750.00 USD or more, we need the seller to sign confirmation of receipt.
  3. Mark "Returned Cargo" on the outside of the package to avoid tax charges." 

(4) I followed the above instructions to the letter, the item was returned back to the seller with time to spare, and the seller issued me a refund for THE ITEM ONLY (THEY DID NOT REIMBURSE ME FOR THE RETURN SHIPPIG COSTS I had to pay (NEARLY $65.00)).

(5) Immediately following the seller issuing the refund for THE ITEM ONLY, PayPay DENIED my refund request on the basis that the the seller had issued me a refund (remember.....the ONLY reason the seller issued me a refund is because I opened an "item received damaged" claim against the seller with PayPal).

In any event, I have tried EVERY POSSIBLE WAY to find/locate/access the "request a return shipping refund" option (including the method suggested) with no results. Is there any other way (some "back-door" method) for accessing the "request a return shipping refund" option that you can think of.

Thanks for your previous suggestion and any future help you may provide.

Respectfully.

JEM2019

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JEM2019

Did you activate the return shipping on us linke BEFORE you made that transaction?

Only it says this....

This Service is not retroactive. You may only make a Refund request for items that you purchased and returned while the Service is in effect.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JEM2019
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you once again for your input. However, I too am familiar with the language PayPal uses under their "return shipping on us" Terms and Conditions policies (namely, the policy regarding "What happens if I returned an item purchased before the launch of the Return Shipping on Us service?" which specifically provides that: "This Service [(the "Return Shipping on Us" Service)] is not retroactive. You may only make a Refund request for items that you purchased and returned while the Service is in effect." This provision has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER to my situation. The language of the "retroactivity" provision quoted above cannot be read in isolation. Instead, it must be read in conjunction with the PLAIN LANGUAGE of the ACTUAL Terms and Conditions of the "Return Shipping on Us" policy which states: "The[] [above stated] Terms describe the Return Shipping on Us service IN EFFECT BEGINNING NOVEMBER 30, 2016." (All emphasis (CAPITALIZATION) was added). Obviously the "retroactivity" provision that you pointed out would ONLY apply in circumstances where a purchase was made BEFORE November 30, 2016 (the date upon which the "Return Shipping on Us" Service was "in effect"), and a return shipping refund was later requested AFTER the EFFECTIVE date of the service. 

To further emphasize this point (that the "retroactivity" provision has NO application to MY circumstances) all one needs do is read the VERY FIRST elaboration of the "Return Shipping on Us" Service Policy ("the Service") which provides as follows: 

"Eligibility Requirements – When can I use the Return Shipping on Us service?

You may use the Return Shipping on Us Service to obtain reimbursement of return shipping costs for items purchased online, if the following conditions are met:

• You must activate the Service before you attempt to submit a refund request, by clicking the “Agree & Activate Now” button on the Return Shipping on Us service website and logging in to your PayPal account.

------------------------------

• You must submit a complete refund request of the return shipping costs (the "refund request”) related to that return WITHIN 30 CALENDAR DAYS OF MAILING BACK THE RETURNED ITEM. (All emphasis (CAPITALIZATION) was added).

Based on THIS language you have up to 30 days AFTER you return an item to "activate" your ability to submit a "refund request." Therefore, the "retroactivity" provision obviously is NOT what is causing my dificulty with accessing the “Request a return shipping refund” option via my PayPal account.

Please note that before I reached out to the PayPal community--for input on this issue--I devoted 3-4 hours of intensive investigation and research in an effort to resolve the issue on my own (my "due diligence"). Only when I was unable to solve the problem on my own did I then reach out for help to the PayPal community.

I want to thank you for the time and effort that you put into trying to help me resolve this issue. Should you have any other ideas/methods I would be happy to consider them.

With much thanks and respect.

JEM2019

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.