Issue with using Paypal Debit at Gas Pump

ScotH
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to use my PayPal Debit card at the gas pump on 4 separate occasions.  Each time it was declined.  Instead I had to pay the Cashier with cash.  I can use the card at other locations.

The last time I was able to use the PayPal Debit card at the pump was on Dec 14th.

I called the 800 number yesterday Jan 3rd to make sure that the card would work as I needed to put gas in the car.   They checked, saw a zero balance and that the card was linked to my bank account.  I was assured that the card would be able to go thru.  Tried it last night, and the card was declined again at the pump.  Last year when this issue occurred, they had to reset something on their end to fix it.

Today I called the again, was told that the pump is trying to do a $1 transaction.  Since I have a Zero balance, was advised I couldn't use the card at the pump, but would need to attempt the transaction with the Cashier instead or I would need to keep a min of $30 in the account.

I used to use Balance Manager, but that was discontinued Jan 1st, 2018.  This is another reason for them to bring it back.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ScotH
Contributor
Contributor

I shoud have replied sooner, my card started working at the pump about 3 months after it had stopped working.

I believe I know what had caused it.  I had order a product on line that was back ordered.  The company that I had ordered the product from had issued a pending charge to my paypal account.  The pending charge didn't automatically pull funds from my bank account. My paypal account didn't show a negative balance, but because of the pending charge paypal decided it was a negative balance and refused purchases from the pump. The company then tried to charge my card again when they had the product in stock and was denied due to the pending charge.  During this time I wasn't able to use the card for purchases at the pump, but could still make purchases at McDonalds.  As a test, I went into the gas station and was able to use the card to purchase gas.  During this time that the card wasn't working at the pump, I would occasionally try the card, but it still wasn't working.  I even received a replacement card - incase it was a issue with the card - still didn't work.

About 3 months after this issue started, the pending charge was removed/timed out on my account and the next time I tried it at the pump it worked.

If you are having issues at the pump, check for pending charges and have the company that issued it, remove the charge from your account.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

ScotH
Contributor
Contributor

The issue with using this card at a gas pump continues, even with having a balance in the account.

Login to Me Too

BIberia
Contributor
Contributor
Yes.. I thought it was a balance thing as well, but alas it seems the card just doesn’t work at the pump. I had to take my mom to the airport and I was trying to get gas before I picked her up. She has an early flight so I was out at 3:30 am trying to get fuel. I tried 5 different stations! There was no attendant because it was so early so I was left on E until after I got mom and found a station that was open 24hr.. smh, ridiculous!
Login to Me Too

Pamisnuts
Contributor
Contributor
My card worked on Monday at the pump and today it's been denied at two different gas stations but I was able to use it inside with the cashier. I don't know what the hell's going on with PayPal but it's very inconvenient because you can't fill it up from inside you just got to put a certain amount of money on it
Login to Me Too

Colbykz1
New Community Member
I called today after having an issue this morning and was told PayPal changed their policy regarding gas purchases and that you will need to call to pre authorize a fuel purchase. The purchase may go through at the register but that has not been my experience. I was told you cannot indefinitely authorize purchases at specific stations either. Needless to say this is the very definition of inconvenience and I'll be closing my PayPal acct.
Login to Me Too

Ironicus
Contributor
Contributor

I never had any issues with using my business debit MasterCard at the pump until about a week ago.  I called support yesterday and was told that a hold was on my card because some verification was needed.  I expected that they would ask me about the previous 5 transactions to make sure they were done by me, but instead they sent a text message to my mobile device with a code which i then read to them.  How this verifies anything other than my mobile number (which has not changed in the more than a decade I have had this account) I may never know.  The rep said the card would now work so I tried it again at the pump and was denied.

I called back and spoke to a different rep who told me that PayPal won't be accepting transactions from the pump at some gas stations, but will from others, because they have seen a pattern of cards being duplicated after being used at gas pumps.  I asked which gas stations would still be accepted and the rep told me they have no list or criteria for what stations would be accepted and which would not.

The rep added that it would be a few months before this is resolved.

#payatpumpdenied

Login to Me Too

SixHorsez
Contributor
Contributor
I found far more information here than I did when I called PayPal. The rep I spoke with said everything was good on my end, it must be a problem with that gas station. When I explained that it was three different stations, all of which I had used previously with PayPal credit, he assured that it wasn't my card or PayPal. 🙄😡 Apparently someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
Login to Me Too

ripj
Contributor
Contributor

Started in May 2019 (this month) for me. Had the DMC for now 3 years. Never an issue before. My rep went from the validating the account thing, to our systems are broke, to you have a return open. Oh I see now she said.. so you did or didn't know what you were talking about before. It's all lies and they don't care because they are being paid pennies.  Shameful.  I've had returns for these 3 years and never had an issue. They just make stuff up. Ask for someone above them, noone is available. This has ot only gas stations, but trial authorizations online. (shiprush because eBay cancelled my free version. A flipping hassle)  I seriously hope this never occurs at a hotel. eBay and Paypal may be breaking up but it's the same damn support people all working in the same building still with no real explanations and almost zero knowledge working for pennies.  Shame on everyone for not being able to give an honest answer to a real problem.

Login to Me Too

Neogurumi
Contributor
Contributor
Been having this problem too and I’m really irritated by this. I’ve had my account open for 20 years now and I have no idea how long I’ve this card, maybe 10. I normally use it for gas all the time and this has been a real problem for me. This needs to be sorted out because it’s incredibly inconvenient. Never been so dissatisfied with PayPal as I am currently.
Login to Me Too

Bewitched-Bejew
Contributor
Contributor

Me too, I am so disappointed in PayPal. I've always been a fan but they have just changed a big part of what I use them for. I mean I ain't lazy, I can walk in the store but the whole reason I use card at the pump is to keep from having to get my kids out to. Totally inconvenient now. So I may as well use another card if they are taking away the one privilege I was using them for. Smh #dissattisfiedcustomer

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.