Incorrect package type

ljyljy
Contributor
Contributor

I've received two emails from PayPal in the past two days demanding payment for "Underpaid Postage Costs". I didn't research the first one bc I just took it as I made a mistake, but then I got one today and looked it up. I ship 2-3 items constantly every day. I have 4 box types, (2 plain and 2 Priority), then I use poly bags for some. Just depends on the savings and the extra packing.  For my larger shipments, I default to PM Large. It's $18.30 flat rate, especially cross country. I'll use a bigger box for local, but I use FedUp for that. How can I get proof? They show recorded type 7531, and actual 7500. I know for a fact I used the right box and right label. I'm uber **bleep** when it comes to CS. I haven't found anything that shows what these are. Anyone??? I'm not afraid of PayPal. I've had to use the power of the law before on a different situation several times.  It just seems very unusual. I've been selling and shipping for about 8 years now and this is a first. To top that off, I got a PayPal Fraud Alert text asking if I was attempting to pay someone $55. I answered no, and their reply was I can't request or send via text. WTFC!! I wasn't doing it and was someone trying to access my account?????? No explanations? You can't get a hold of anyone right now. I waited for an hour today on text chat only to get logged off without notice. I had kept my login active 7 times during that hour.  No one is answering at the HQ either. WTH is going on with them?? I realized they are staff starved due to COVID-19 but seriously folks!!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Goldileen
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @ljyljy

Thank you for your patience. Though our response times may be delayed, be assured we’re here.

If you think you were charged underpaid postage incorrectly, you can contact USPS to dispute the charges. However, you won’t be able to ship via PayPal until this is resolved. Upon resolution, USPS will notify PayPal and PayPal will clear the underpaid postage from your account. You can proceed with PayPal Shipping.

You may refer to this link so you can reach out to USPS Short Pay contact information:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-underpaid-postage-or-short-pay-faq3344?app=searc...

Regarding your other question, it's extremely important to report any suspected instances of fraud. If you think your account has been compromised change your password and update your security questions right away to protect your account (we may limit what you can do on your account until you do so). 

To provide steps on how you can report potential fraud, you can refer to the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud%2C-spoof-or-unauthorized...

Hope this helps. Please stay safe. 

Login to Me Too

LaGrandGlass
Contributor
Contributor

USPS says is is a PayPal problem. 

Login to Me Too

chauie
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever contact USPS and get this resolved? I just had the same thing as you happen to me yesterday, except the package types were switched. I had recorded type 7500 and they said it was 7531.

Login to Me Too

ljyljy
Contributor
Contributor
i haven't yet. I'm a little overwhelmed by this whole online selling gig. Now I have Ebay stopping me from making ANY profit on listings. I'm just taking a short break while I cool off. When I do, I will post my results. Thank you for posting!
Login to Me Too

ada2012
New Community Member

I got the same email claiming that I used the wrong package type but I'm 99% sure I'm using the correct USPS medium priority box and I bought the match label for it. I'm not sure what 7530 refers to

Recorded package type

Actual package type

Did you end up paying or solve the problem?

Login to Me Too

chauie
Contributor
Contributor

@ada2012 I e-mailed them (apparently I'm not allowed to post their email here) and explained my case to them and why I thought it was their mistake. A few days later they responded and said they will begin their investigation and send me the final results of the dispute. I don't remember how long it took but eventually my PayPal was cleared and good to go.

the email was

<Removed>

^ remove the underscores, hopefully that makes sense

Login to Me Too

LaGrandGlass
Contributor
Contributor
  • Recorded package type
  • Actual package type
  • I'm not paying double.
    Actual postage cost$7.88 USD
    Postage paid- $3.57 USD
    Amount overdue$4.31 USD

I am not paying double.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.