How can I use my Discover cash back bonus through PayPal?

Hounded
Contributor
Contributor

I've had my Discover card linked to PayPal for several years, but I recently noticed that PayPal now allows you to link your Discover cash back bonus to your PayPal account so that you can use money from your accumulated bonus to pay for purchases. I linked my bonus to PayPal, and when I go into my PayPal wallet and look at my Discover card, it shows my current cash back bonus available to spend. Unfortunately, when I make a purchase with PayPal and want to use my Discover bonus, I can't find any way to select it. I can charge a purchase to my Discover card like usual, but paying with the cash back bonus should be a separate option in the payment menu and there is no such option that I can see. I tried this with two different purchases, one from an eBay seller and the other from a Web bookseller. I called PayPal customer service and got connected with a guy who sounded like he was at some offshore call center and clearly had no clue what a Discover cash back bonus was; he seemed to think it was some other kind of credit card and kept insisting that it couldn't be used for PayPal purchases. We went round and round about this for a long time, but I finally threw up my hands and told him we might as well end the call because he couldn't even understand my question.  If what he said was true, why would there even be an option to link one's cash back bonus to PayPal? I'd sure like to talk to someone at PayPal who actually understands how cash back bonus payments should work and help me solve my issue. Anyone here have any experience with using the Discover cash back bonus through PayPal?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Bmerritt9158
New Community Member
A month and no response from PayPal?
Login to Me Too

PaywithRewards
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Thanks for your interest in using Discover Cashback Bonus and Pay with Rewards on PayPal!   As you've noticed, this functionality isn't yet available at all merchants and payment types, but we're working hard to enable it to more each day.  When you are checking out with PayPal at an eligible merchant, you'll see a message about your available reward balance next to your reward credit card.  After selecting the card, the section below will expand and you will see a checkbox option to use your rewards for this purchase, along with a "Change Amount" link that allows you to specify the amount of rewards you'd like to apply to this purchase. 

For more information, please visit:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/pay-with-rewards

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/faq4073

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.