Email saying my account is locked legit?

Donnyc55
New Community Member

Is the email legit?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

This_is_Chris
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Donnyc55,

There is a possibility that it might be a scam or a phishing email. One thing to determine if your account is locked or not is to log in on your PayPal account. If you were able to do so, please check the Resolution Center of your account to verify if there is a limitation on your account. 

If you were able to log in and there are no limitations on your account, then yes, that email is not from PayPal. Kindly forward that email to spoof@paypal.com. After you send us the email, delete it from your inbox as well. 

Furthermore, I highly suggest that you check these articles below:

How do I report a fake PayPal email or website?

What are common scams and how do I spot them?

Hope this helps! Always keep safe.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated.🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

homerlea
Contributor
Contributor

I got one and assumed it was a scam since I have been a paypal member as well as stock holder but apparently some mysterious algorithm at paypal has decided that I am a leper and frozen my account When I inquired I thought at first that they were just refusing to give me any specific answer to why I had been dumped. As correspondence continued I realized that they can't give me an answer because they have no clue why I was dumped, Apparently their system doesn't give any reasons it just dumps you and the people running risk management don't seem to understand the system to figure out anything specific about so I was told the following by them.... 

My name is Tailla, and I work in PayPal's Office of Executive Escalations. The concerns you shared about your recent complaint were forwarded to our office for review.

I regret the frustration you experienced as a result of having your account restricted. I understand why this would be cause for concern, and I would like to take this opportunity to outline what occurred in relation to this matter.

A review of your PayPal account shows that on March 24, 2020, PayPal placed a permanent limitation on your account informing you that PayPal has decided to part ways.

Further, to keep PayPal a safer place to do business online, sometimes we must part ways with some of our account-holders. A review of your PayPal account found that there may be excessive risk involved in doing business with you. PayPal carefully considered several factors before making any decision to discontinue our business relationship with your account.

It is important to note, our decision may be based on confidential criteria that are essential to our management of risk and the protection of PayPal, our customers and/or service providers. We may use proprietary fraud and risk modeling when assessing the risk associated with your PayPal account. In addition, we may be restricted by regulation or a governmental authority from disclosing certain information to you about such decisions. We have no obligation to disclose the details of our risk management or security procedures to you.

We wanted you to know we took the time to review the overall situation in depth, and can confirm our decision remains unchanged. Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other forms of reversals, your remaining balance will be held for up to 180 days.

Login to Me Too
Solved

This_is_Chris
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Donnyc55,

There is a possibility that it might be a scam or a phishing email. One thing to determine if your account is locked or not is to log in on your PayPal account. If you were able to do so, please check the Resolution Center of your account to verify if there is a limitation on your account. 

If you were able to log in and there are no limitations on your account, then yes, that email is not from PayPal. Kindly forward that email to spoof@paypal.com. After you send us the email, delete it from your inbox as well. 

Furthermore, I highly suggest that you check these articles below:

How do I report a fake PayPal email or website?

What are common scams and how do I spot them?

Hope this helps! Always keep safe.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated.🙂

Login to Me Too

homerlea
Contributor
Contributor

Contacting paypal about freezing my account certainly didn't do any good

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.