Email received about cash back rewards overpayment

Tweetysvoice
Contributor
Contributor

I just received an email from PayPal that looks to be legit and I was wondering if anyone else has received an email like this? Here's the body of the email... "During the month of March 2018, we experienced a technical issue with our cash back rewards program. This issue impacted our cash back rewards payouts for transactions occurring from March 1-31. What this means is that we overpaid you for the transactions you made that were eligible for cash back rewards. We apologize for the inconvenience. To correct this error, on April 25, 2018, we’ll debit your PayPal account for the overage, which totals 3.49 USD. " You have got to be kidding me. A company this size has to take back $3.49 from a user because they were the ones that had technical issues. I believe they have enough money to cover their own mistakes. Are they going to cover the bounce fee because I don't have this money in my account right at the moment? I am livid. This was PayPal's fault. I should not be punished for their technical issues. Anybody have any ideas what steps I should take?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Lola62
New Community Member
During the month of March 2018, we experienced a technical issue with our cash back rewards program. This issue impacted our cash back rewards payouts for transactions occurring from March 1-31. What this means is that we overpaid you for the transactions you made that were eligible for cash back rewards. We apologize for the inconvenience.

To correct this error, on April 25, 2018, we’ll debit your PayPal account for the overage, which totals 4.14 USD.

SOOOOOOOOO WHAT?!! I earned NOTHING for March?? Is that correct?? Should I stop using my Paypal account for any and everything now?? Who to contact about this? 
Login to Me Too

Crystalyn
New Community Member

The same thing here. I received the same email this morning. What is going on? Does that mean that I don't get any cash back rewards for March? The whole situation seems strange. A little more transparency would be nice regarding the "technical issue" that they had. 

Login to Me Too

Snoski
New Community Member
I, too, received this email. It does appear to have been paid twice. Once on April 1 and a second time on April 3. That said, it's HORRIBLE customer service to overpay and then take it back. Instead, Paypal should say, we made a mistake, but please keep it. That would be a huge customer service WIN. Instead, they're just **bleep** everyone off.
Login to Me Too

rjd211koch
New Community Member

Same issue.  They pulled back $1.66 from me!  I'm sure that makes a big difference to them.....NOT!  But, it does to me as I don't carry an actual balance in the account.  I have now had purchases declined, subscriptions declined, and monthly bill payments rejected all for $1.66 overdraft that PAYPAL CREATED!  What a joke!  I tried adding money from a debit/credit card only to get error messages along the way.  I finally added all of $2 via my checking account which takes 3-5 days!  Why didn't they just charge this to my back up funding in the first place?  I appreciate that they notified us up front, but they should have been clear about this so we could have proactively added money.  So annoyed with this and the way they handled it. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.