Cashback mastercard and currency conversion

eric9840

I recently got the Paypal cashback mastercard mainly because of the no foreign transaction fee only to find out that it only charges in USD through paypal. There are no "currency options" like there is for my other cards when in paypal checkout. The only option is using paypals currency conversion despite the card having no foreign transaction fee. This card also does not support mastercard securecode which is required if you want any hope of successfully charging this card directly from a foreign website.

I've called paypal several times but they are not helpful and seem to not understand my problem. Has anyone had success charging the cashback mastercard in the invoiced currency?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eric9840 

I understand your issue but what more do you want? [I'll answer that for you: "EVERYTHANG!" 😎] They got rid of the Foreign Transaction fee which use to be 3% of transaction amount but of course it will use PayPal forex/conversion rate/fees. Look at it this way, the card has % cashback so the more you spend, the more you get back. And the faqs says you can use the PayPal Cashback Mastercard as a payment source in PayPal and anywhere that Mastercard is accepted, in stores and online.

The card is issued by Synchrony Bank, perhaps ask them and see if they can shed any light:

https://www.synchronybank.com/contact-us/

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

eric9840

Thanks @sharpiemarker for the reply. I have called them too and they direct me to call paypal which have directed me to call back Synchrony...

Removing the foreign transaction fee means nothing if paypal still charges its own forex fee in the form of a rate premium to charge the card in USD. I want the card to be charged in the foreign currency so it can be converted at the actual going rate by Synchrony. I can opt out of paypal's conversion with any of my other cards at checkout. It seems weird that paypal would limit their own card like this especially when they advertise no foreign transaction fee.

Charging the card directly always gets declined because the international shopping sites I use require mastercard securecode. I've called Synchrony about this too and they say they can't do anything or the card doesn't support it.

I didn't think I was asking for much, just want to take advantage of no forex fee but it seems to be impossible short of actually traveling.

Login to Me Too

yb8e643
New Community Member

I noticed the same issue last year not long after I got the card. It forced me to use paypal currency conversion and give no option to change it. I also had similar experience with support, PayPal and Synchrony CS reps were just telling me to contact the other side and feel like they don’t really understand the problem. I had to contact PayPal help before and the experience is not that good, not surprised they are just asking to contact the other side... Glad to see your post when I thought about searching for the issue on Google, this needs more attention. It’s really annoying...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.