Can't link fingerprint on Galaxy S5 (Android)

danstheman
Contributor
Contributor

For years, the fingerprint login worked flawlessly. Recently (as in the past month or so, Jan / Feb 2018), it no longer works. From the PayP al app login screen I can choose to login with password or PIN, but when I click 'fingerprint', nothing happens. I tried to fix this in settings, and it seems maybe the link between fingerprint support and the Paypal app is broken, so I tried to re-link it:

I went into my android settings: Settings/Fingerprint/Pay with PayPal and clicked 'Link with PayPal' at the bottom of the screen. On the next screen (which I think is in the 'FIDO Ready' fingerprint app, not sure though), I clicked 'Link your Fingerprint'. All straightforward so far.

But every time I do, the screen goes black after a few moments, and I get the message "Unfortunately, PayPal has stopped". 

I've tried this about a dozen times, before and after reboot, same thing happens every time. I have a Verizon Galaxy S5, unrooted, with the latest Android firmware and the latest PayPal app installed. Apparently I also have the latest version of FIDO installed.

All I can think is that maybe a recent PayPal app update or change on their end is no longer supporting fingerprint login, or there's a new bug that is preventing the fingerprint software from linking with PayPal. I'd love to hear any explanation (ideally from someone at PayPal), and how to fix this.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Mizzeeboy
New Community Member

Hey Everyone, yup I've been having the same problems as above. I have found the only way to get it to work again was by downloading an older version of PayPal (e.g go to  This website) and find a version of PayPal before when your S5 fingerprint stopped working (I chose v6.14) and voila, as soon as I signed in it asked me if I wanted to link my fingerprint to the app. The problem is purely with the new version of the App (as of 19/04/2018).

Login to Me Too

ValiP1
New Community Member
I also had this issue on my one +3t....it is because of the last update as u stated. The solution that i found out is to disable fingerprint login in Settings /login and security then logout, login again with pin or password and it will ask u if u want to choose fingerprint login, select yes, add ur fingerprint and voila.... It will work again like before... Hope will help u
Login to Me Too

danstheman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ValiP1, but I don't have that option. In my current Paypal app (latest version as of 9/5/2018) at least, there is no option to enable or disable fingerprint login under the 'login and security' settings, so I can't try that solution.

I still have my S5, the Paypal app has updated multiple times since my original post, but nothing seems to have changed..

@ValiP1 wrote:
I also had this issue on my one +3t....it is because of the last update as u stated. The solution that i found out is to disable fingerprint login in Settings /login and security then logout, login again with pin or password and it will ask u if u want to choose fingerprint login, select yes, add ur fingerprint and voila.... It will work again like before... Hope will help u

Login to Me Too

Figgs1
New Community Member
I don't know if you found an answer to your problem yet. What I've found after months is the PayPal mobile website has something to do with it. I fixed my problem by turning off the fingerprint option in the mobile app, logging out of it, then going to the PayPal mobile website removing the fingerprint option, then re-establishing it. Then going back to the mobile app, entered in my password, it then prompted for the fingerprint and it works after that. Hope this works for someone!
Login to Me Too

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor
I've done this before. I no longer have patience for all this. This and all the two-factor authentication I have to go through on an almost hourly basis now with a million different apps bank apps paypal, etc. I can't do my work. What a mess the tech world has become. My S9 is the weakest wifi ever had. This stuff just gets worse with every glitchy update.
Login to Me Too

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor
Even Lastpass is unreliable and causes issues with passwords in Chrome trying to change it. The Chrome one pops up instead. LastPass never works when you need it, finger print is useless as a login for most sites.... So Frustrating!......in 2019!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.