Can't activate in-store payments for Paypal on GPay on Android

LeonidasFett
Contributor
Contributor
Used PayPal with GPay for months without any problems. Did a factory reset because my phone was slowing down. Added PayPal account to GPay again. Tried to activate in-store payments. I get to the point where my browser opens with a symbol of a debit card slowly filling up with blue color. It stops right before completion and tells me that "Sorry, we can't add your PayPal account to Google Pay". Super useful error message. Have repeated this about 10 times and am beginning to pull my hair out.

Any ideas?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LeonidasFett 

Try unlinking PayPal from Google Pay on PayPal website first:

1. Click the Settings gear icon.

2. Select the Payments menu subtab and select Manage Automatic Payments.

3. Go to "Google, Inc. " from the left navigation bar and click Cancel on the right.

4. Relink your PayPal account to Google Pay.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LeonidasFett
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried that before. Linking PayPal to GPay also isn't the problem as it's linked just fine. The only thing that's not working is the in-store purchases so I can't use NFC to pay with my phone. 

Login to Me Too

LeonidasFett
Contributor
Contributor

I just remembered that there was a security issue where hackers where able to exploit PayPal integration with GPay. I also found a Chinese website saying that Google has temporarily removed support for PayPal due to this issue. Does anyone know any info about this?

EDIT: Although it's not the article I originally found, this one basically says the same thing. So it seems that Google is slowly pulling the plug for some users.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@LeonidasFett,

I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance if you're still seeing this issue on your end.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.