Buyer say's money topped up to account is on hold, is this correct?

Tracy9
Contributor
Contributor

hello i've been on paypal for long time now, many years. But I had a buyer say they topped up their account with $1000 usd, but they can't pay me becuase they say paypal have put the money transfered from their bank to paypal account on hold. Is this true or is the buyer having me on?

I cnanot find any information on paypal anywhere to say about payments on hold by topping up your balance, only pending payments if payment ha sbeen sento to a seller?

Any help pelase as paypal customer servcies have now takne their phone number, on-line chat only in which i sent a message and no repsonse.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tracy9 

In the UK they can top up their paypal account instantly using their paypal balance OR if they don't do online banking then they can transfer from any linked bank account.

If they have used the second option then paypal does not put it on hold BUT they do use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option and it takes 5-7 working days to clear through to their paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tracy9
Contributor
Contributor

hello I am uk based but the buyer is usa, they have sent me a screne shot showing the money transfered from their bank to paypal is on hold. I have e-mailed paypal on this, they say it can take up to 5 days, but they don't understand despite my screen shot given to me by the buyer,  why it should be on hold from their bank into their paypal balance. I have asked if the screen shot looks genuine but no rpely on that.  I got it through facebook. I am only trying to find out if they are time weasting as I get so many peopel do this on facebook.  The buyer has said to me they were on the paypal e-mail chat last Saturday for over 3 1/2 hours trying to get to the bottom of the problem.  they say each time they go to pay it always transfers it from her bank and she cannot understand why?  I'm just trying to make sure i'm not being taken for a ride here.

It's annoying I cannot enlose a screen shot here, I mean it looks genuine.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tracy9 

Well yes if they 'added' funds to their paypal balance to pay you it would take 3-5 days to transfer from their bank account to their paypal account.

However not sure WHY they did this as they can pay you directly from their bank account without having to add funds to their paypal balance first.

You will just have to wait for the funds to clear to their balance and then wait for them to send them to you, do not send anything until you have been paid. 

HOWEVER if they are adding funds from their bank account those funds would be in dollars, so they would either have to convert them to sterling in their paypal account or you set up your account to receive dollars. Paypal only automatically converts funds when a buyer selects that currency when they pay and then paypal pay in that currency and it shows them how much in their own currency will be deducted from their funding source ie bank account or card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.