Asking seller for ID

xMichael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking to buy a jacket online (on Depop) and the seller has requested me to pay him through Paypal (Goods & Services).

Now was I wondering, for my protection, is it done for me to request some sort of identification off the seller (since I'm still not aware of his full name)?

This is merely for the purpose of protecting myself and providing enough proof to ensure this (and making sure I'd receive a refund from Paypal too).

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@xMichael 

You get protection by sending a goods and services payment. Don't need the seller's name really or their ID. The seller can send you a PayPal invoice to your PayPal email address with all their info filled in or you can send a goods and services via Send & Request to their PayPal email address.

account owner name will appear on the transaction details after payment is made. Be sure to select "Paying for an item or service" under the amount field during the payment process. I also recommend paying with a credit card.

You can read more about the buyer or purchase protection program by clicking "Legal" at the bottom of the page and selecting your country as there are limitations.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

xMichael
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @sharpiemarker 

Thank you for the swift reply.

It's good to hear that I do not require this information (but I meant it more in a context that I'd get scammed, I had an identity I could report to an official agency if necessary).

Furthermore I've linked my Mastercard to Paypal now.

But for what reason exactly is this deemed safer to user than just your Paypal account balance?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.