temporary authorisation

AndyLuanR
New Community Member
This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your payment method can cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when Pay in 4 completes your order. Why is this happening when my bank already been charged with the 1st payment?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndyLuanR 

Why is this happening when my bank already been charged with the 1st payment?

Because the merchant is using the 2 step payment processing.

By default, PayPal authorizes and captures payments at once so that payments are received immediately.

2 step processing initiates the authorization first, but lets the merchant capture the payment later, after verifying inventory, preparing order for shipping, make adjustments of order, shipping/handling, sales tax, gratuity or even the opportunity to void the authorization so that PayPal fees aren’t charged in case merchant wants to void the transaction or if customer requests to cancel.

An authorization it’s not a completed charge yet, the funds are actually on hold at your bank, earmarked for the purchase so it don’t get spent accidentally and haven’t been transferred over to the merchant yet until merchant captures/completes payment. Give it a few days and your transaction and pay in 4 plan will update. If the merchant fails to capture payment, the authorization will expire in a few days and drop off, releasing the hold on funds. If the authorization still remains for more than a few days, contact PayPal customer services asking them to void the authorization for you. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.