"Sorry, there was a technical error. Please try again later" error every time I try to pay

hhazrat786
Contributor
Contributor

Getting the error every time I try to pay or setup autopay for my paypal credit account. This issue has been happening since a couple of months. Tried different browsers and systems. Also tried paypal phone app. Contacted both Paypal and Synchrony bank support but they have no idea and blame each other. 

Error Message: "Sorry, there was a technical error. Please try again later"

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Mrsmaddymck
Contributor
Contributor
Having same error. Paypal says it's synchrony banks fault and tells me to call them. When I do, synchrony bank tells me to call PayPal because it's their fault. And around we go for the last hour.
Login to Me Too

ndarnall35

Tried that, didn't work.

Login to Me Too

WillTDowd
New Community Member
I logged out of PayPal on the computer & phone, as well as the customer service rep. Resetting my account and it worked just fine. I’m not sure if the reset did it or if logging out everywhere and logging back in fixed it, but try that first and then call to have them reset it.
Login to Me Too

Tahlor
Contributor
Contributor

What does it mean to have one's account "reset"? (E.g., was it something on the backend that had no meaningful impact on you or did you e.g., have to reenter/reverify all of your bank/credit card accounts etc.)

Login to Me Too

Tahlor
Contributor
Contributor
I had this problem too when I created an account. It went away on its own after about 3 days.
Login to Me Too

2infamouz
New Community Member

Same thing. Got bounced around from paypal to mysynchrony customer service reps on the phone back and forth like 6 times till i finally flipped out and said wave the fee and take my payment info and manually pay the bill. This is very inconvenient and bizarre for 2 companies of this size to not be able to handle. Every person on the phone said they cant help but can transfer me to someone who can help, who would say the same thing on and on. Guess I'll have to call each time I need to make a payment. of all places to not handle online payments, its slightly hilarious that this is paypal. Prehistoric payment methods from the leader in online purchases. Why not?

Login to Me Too

EdwardJD3
Apparently this is still not fixed after this thread existing for 2 years. I've tried to setup autopay at least a dozen times and every time I get the technical error message. My credit account is brand new, so maybe i need to wait longer, I'm not sure. I tried to call the number under contact us on the paypal credit page, and after finally being connected to an operator, they said they couldn't help, and that I had to contact PayPal directly. After the operating transfered my call, I went through another bot, and when it asked me if I was contacting for help with my credit account... it transferred me back to the original line I called, so I hung up. Hopefully this problem clears up soon because I do not want to have to pay interest on my purchases when that was the whole reason why I created this account in the first place.
Login to Me Too

oneangrycusomer
Contributor
Contributor

After using paypal credit for years, I got the same error. I had autopay setup for every 20th of the month and says payment went through on 9/21/23. I called to request payment allocation. AFter i was done, I got an email from paypal 5 minutes after the call ended saying that my autopay has been cancelled and funds were returning back to me and says i may be charge a fee. 

I called paypal credit and yes, same garbage excuse. pointing fingers at each other. I was on phone calls back and forth for 5 hours and i literally flipped the **bleep** up on them. they are useless. They have no idea what's going on. I gave up and just paid over the phone and made sure i don't get charged but we'll see if i see any penalty charges. I'll be flipping out on them if I do

frustrating and i'm done using paypal credit after im done paying off my balance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.