Why is the app on Android logging in with Google Chrome instead of staying in the app?

Galane
Contributor
Contributor

When I launch the PayPal app on my phone (Galaxy S20 - the S20, not FE, Ultra, or Plus, with Android 13) and go to login, instead of logging in *in the app* it launches Google Chrome, then often just sits there doing nothing after I enter my credentials.

This is new and very undesired behavior. If the PayPal app is just going to kick people to the PayPal website, then there's no point in having the app, because it's essentially just a shortcut to the website.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Galane,

Welcome back to the Community Help Forum and thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear the issues you're having with PayPal app. When you are attempting to log in through the PayPal mobile app and are experiencing difficulty, please try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if this works. If not, please contact PayPal Support team to get this checked further. Contact options can be available in this Help Center article. 

Good luck,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

TheLllama
New Community Member

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app but the issue remains. Opening the mobile app version on mobile device still opens up the Chrome browser for logging in.

Login to Me Too

Jreynii
Contributor
Contributor
Moderators, please post an answer to this question and not just a simple reinstall statement. We're asking a serious question here; why does the app open up in Chrome when it used to open up in the app itself. The appearance is that our information is being captured and used nefariously. This is very disconcerting!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @Jreynii

Welcome to the PayPal Help Community! Apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced with the PayPal mobile app. I totally understand your concern here. No need to worry! PayPal always keeps your information secure. It could be a glitch and your best option would be contacting PayPal support to allow the technical team to look into this matter further. 

Regards,

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

LoginNameErgo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting another template. I get the the impression the concern is not as much - or only - as to whether PayPal's privacy policy is in order - which is it isn't. And a promise of 'looking after data and privacy' is as strong as its weakest link. I think we can all agree that the concern here lies with Google Chrome, in the first instance, and therefore consequently with PayPal, if it meets with their agreement. If so, that's very bad! Worse still is, that it happens, PayPal actually doesn't agree, newer versions of Android are controlling the issue, and PayPal shows no interest to act upon it, ergo against Google.

I don't have the above problem, as I don't run Chrome on Android (why would anyone?). But given my login is regularly lost on my new Android 13 device, it may have something to do with my primary browser of choice not storing cookies, but 13 desperately trying to run the app in a browser. In that case I have a variation of the above problem and I, too, don't wish to be fobbed off with templates! I also don't wish PayPal to send my login credentials around within Android to yet another browser that also has privacy issues.

Mights as well talk to ChatGTP1.3x.  Can you, for god sake's, address  the issue, and not say 'sorry' without modifying the template? It's like talking to Microsoft or McAfee - and that's not a compliment.

Login to Me Too

Leleleeds
New Community Member
Same problem, but opening in Firefox as that's my default browser. Please don't reply with a template, mods. It's not helpful. Yes I've tried turning it on and off again, the problem—and its privacy violation implications—persist.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.