Why is Synchrony Bank unable to properly allocate promotional finance purchases?

wesd1063
Contributor
Contributor

Synchrony Bank MUST GO! PayPal Credit is a MESS! I have seen numerous reports on here of Synchrony Bank's inability to allocate payments for Promotional Finance Purchases correctly, even when the customer provides explicit directions for how to allocate payments across multiple Promotional Finance Purchases (e.g., 12 Easy Pay, 6 month zero interest).

PayPal offers these special finance promos and Synchrony Bank makes it nearly impossible to pay each month according to the terms of the promotion. How can we reach someone at PayPal to TERMINATE Synchrony Bank's contract and get a bank that services their customer correctly? I ended up paying off my PayPal credit account in full because Sychrony messed up my payment allocations - specific amounts I provided them to allocate - so badly that the mess was unrecoverable!

As I result, I will NEVER USE PAYPAL CREDIT AGAIN ELIMINATE SYNCHRONY BANK.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

valoriaz
New Community Member

https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-claims-paypal-credit-synchrony-bank-mismanaged-promoti...

I just found this online. "Defendants" in this context is referring to Synchrony Bank.

Dermer v. PayPal Credit et al.

FILED: MARCH 12, 2020 § 2:20-CV-02378

"The case claims the defendants overstepped the federal Truth in Lending Act by:

• Failing to make proper and timely adjustments to the plaintiff’s account;
  • Failing to “clearly and conspicuously” provide certain disclosures, including those regarding finance charges and the calculations of such;
  • Failing to “clearly and concisely” disclose how certain fees are calculated and the period of time to which they apply; and
  • Failing to provide required information about “introductory” or promotional rates."

I totally agree with this filing. In my personal experience, I had to file a complaint with CFPB and the bank processed reallocation of my payments towards the promotional purchases. I was in the dark as the expired purchases from previous billing cycles no longer show up anywhere on the statements. Although I had no expiring purchases in the next billing cycle, I always had new "amount to avoid standard and deferred interest" to pay for, while each month I paid that in full and had no new standard purchases.

Multiple customer service representatives told me to call in every time I make a payment to make sure it's allocated correctly. It's not stated anywhere in print in the documents I've ever received. So I figured it is a system problem, either by design or wrong implementation.

Login to Me Too

beaelliott
Contributor
Contributor

Synchrony has no customer service - at all...

My problem is I closed a paypal mastercard May of last year... Saw a new promotion for $100 if you spend 5 within 90 days. So I apply. I receive the card and spend 500 within 30 days. When I inquire about receiving my bonus I'm told this was a "replacement" card -Not a new account. Outrageous! The card had no activity for more than a year. In my mind, since I canceled the card it would be! Further ---- Why didn't anyone tell me I had an account when I applied for the new card with the promotion??? "Yes Mam' you should get your PayPal voucher in 2 to 3 billing cycles".

I fulfilled my end of the "terms and conditions". It is NOT my fault that this account wasn't closed as I requested LAST YEAR. And NO ONE bothered to tell me even after the discussion of the promotion terms. People absolutely don't know what they are doing at synchrony. Pathetic.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.