Unable to use Vanilla Visa Gift Card on online purchases (ebay and giftcards.com)

Mister16
New Community Member

I tried to use my Visa gift card on an eBay purchase the other day, and quickly found out eBay doesn't accept them. So, after reading some help articles online, people were saying to add the gift card to PayPal, so I did. Everything was added and seemed to be working fine. I get to the checkout, and the Visa gift card doesn't work - came up with some generic error message. I then thought I could instead just buy an eBay gift card (from giftcards.com) using that same visa gift card, and it didn't work there either. Vanillagift (my visa cards company or whatever) has a phone number and website, but neither connect me with any kind of live help, so I was hoping to get some answers here. The only one I could find online was that I needed to add my PayPal address to the Visa gift card's information (but surprise surprise vanillagift doesn't let you do that). Does anyone have ANY ideas?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Mister16,

Welcome to the PayPal Community and thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear you are having issues using your card with PayPal. I know this must be frustrating. It sounds like the card you have added to your PayPal account is not compatible with PayPal's system. 

Unfortunately, gift cards/prepaid cards are not always eligible to be used with PayPal. This cannot be overridden I'm afraid. I would suggest you try adding an alternative card to make purchases with your PayPal account. 

For a list of merchants that your card is compatible with, please visit your card issuers website. 

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.