Refund “threat” by consumer

Confusion95
New Community Member
I am an independent editor. I am just starting my company and work mostly with referrals. Clients & I use “friends & family” for the time being. I have a client unhappy with her edits. She already paid & I transferred the money over. Due to uncommunicated preferences, she wanted a full refund. We did not sign any sort of contract, so I gave her what I thought was appropriate & refunded 30%, as I put a weeks worth of time into editing her manuscript. She thanked me and I thought all was resolved. However, she wrote back two weeks later “threatening” a full refund still and saying if I didn’t fully refund her she’d file a dispute. What do I do with this? Does she even have any claim to do so? This isn’t at all right, in my opinion as I provided the service she asked for.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Confusion95 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being permanently limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item or item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Confusion95
New Community Member
I no longer accept this form of payment. However, since my business has not yet officially started and this client was more of a friend and agreed to simply pay me through a request, it was more like someone receiving money for babysitting or a small service like that. They are also overseas so… (not in US)
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.