Promotional purchases and how to pay them off first.

rcdrake02
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know how to avoid a sneaky interest charge in 6 months.  I have made payments for the exact balance of a promotional purchase, only to find out that it was just applied to the overall balance.  Any ideas on how to get PayPal to direct the payment,  to pay in full the outstanding balance for promotions?  Thanks in advance for your awesome feedback!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-will-my-paypal-credit-payments-be-applied-faq3376

You would need to pay more than the minimum payment so anything over the minimum payment will go to "prepayment" towards your promotional balances.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-will-my-paypal-credit-payments-be-applied-faq3376

You would need to pay more than the minimum payment so anything over the minimum payment will go to "prepayment" towards your promotional balances.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

panapage
New Community Member

I have send triple payments in and NONE applies to promotional  purchases. How do I pay them off ??? AND how do I start getting paper bills sent to me. 

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@panapage

You need to look at page 2 of your full PayPal Credit statement to learn how payments are applied.  You can download the full PDF statement from your PayPal Credit account statement page.There shoul be an option on one of your PayPal Credit pages for paper statements.

Login to Me Too

GrammyJ
New Community Member
Thank you for this info! I was spending too much time searching on the site.
Login to Me Too

theronevans
New Community Member

Update: To clarify, excess payment only goes to the Promotional Balance if it is within TWO billing cycles of it's end date.  If it is a 6-month promotion and you are doing equal payment to pay it off, you MUST call and let them know to allocate to the Promotional Balance you want paid off for the first FOUR billing cycles.

Login to Me Too

imdoc
Contributor
Contributor

Wait...what? I have already made a payment on my account for this month so I have no balance due on that. I owed $48.45 on a promotional purchase that ends tomorrow and I just made a payment in that amount. Are you telling me that I have to call them and tell them to apply that to my promotional purchase? If so, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why do they not just allow you to allocate where the payments are supposed to go? I guess it's just a cheap way to **bleep** people out of more money. If I have to call them to do this I will be leaving PP after 15 years. 

Login to Me Too

SteveyG777
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal are 100% scum. I put something onto pp credit 18 months ago. The same day i went to the app. Paid a big chunk of money then realised it has almost pays off all my desk with Samsung for buying a phone with them that should have paid amounts over 24 months instead! (That is contrary to what is claimed would happen here). According to them i needed to wait for the new pp credit purchase to show up in my next statement first before paying into it. The app our store didn't tell me this before i paid(which it SHOULD HAVE ALERTED ME TO if they gave a **bleep**). It was that difficult to sort out i have succumb to their crafty, under hand intentions and given up - just paying off in small amounts (because i had no more surplus money after paying the large amount and then was so stressed and frustrated by it all i didn't want to waste anymore time on it and couldn't see a solution). I don't know how much interest they have made off me but clearly (in light of mine and your situation and how they've set it up) they are complete **bleep** and do this intentionally. Thanks for hearing you are in the same boat. It has motivated me to start talks with the uk government, trading standards. Starting a petition and raising this behaviour and my situation to watchdog.

Login to Me Too

Tsw1962
Contributor
Contributor
Where can I sign your petition please?
Login to Me Too

glide-bpm
Contributor
Contributor
The two different billing cycles I've attempted to call and pay specific balances, I've escalated to supervisor/managers to do the transaction. Or still shows up paying all the money on the wrong balances. It takes another phone call escalated to managers and one finally admits or will happen that way every time because of their system. You can't talk with the departments that do the re-allocation of your payment to verify it will be done purposely by that area/department!!! The first time, Re-allocation department finally got it right. Looks like I'm going through the same pain in the rear , and this time trying to pay off everything but ONE easy payments balances. All the money immediately went to the balance I wanted to leave on there and the rest I wanted to get rid of stayed right where they were. Even with rumors of eventually being able to eventually select on the website what you want to pay extra on our pay off early (from some of these managers), sounds more like corporate synchrony wants to make it so hard too pay off higher/deferred interest charges, that the average person will give up. Crappy ethics and business model!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.