Paypal's Multiple Complications (Closing Credit, Unknown Refund, Payment Cancellation)

CalJay41
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have 3 issues.

The first being closing a credit account, when I select close account it says I have 2 option. Option 1: via email (Which leads me to no such thing as email, and I'm pretty sure email assistance or any human interaction via internet is a myth with paypal). Option 2: via phone call (I did this over a week ago and was told the account would be closed around last Thursday, tho, the credit account still stands.

The next issue is a refund I have no idea about of $18.99 I believe. I don't know what this was from as there is no details explaining it. I also don't see where this refund has gone to, no account has received this refund.

The next issue is that of a payment cancellation. I attempted to make a payment a while ago and was pending for a long time until today, when I noticed it was marked 'Cancelled, Payment Sent'. What does it mean by payment sent? No money has been removed from any of my account from which I know of.

And now there is the fourth and final issue of my (non-credit) account being -$7.99 (minus). I don't know why as there is no reason for this to be the case, I even thought that any payment that I would have paid for (which I havent) would come straight out of my banking account. It's not too much of an issue; although, the problem comes when I try to pay this minus balance as non of my payment methods which I have used are now not available to pay this. I can't even type another account in for some strange reason. My plan is to create another paypal account just to send this amount.

I just want Paypal to end as it's caused me too many issues. I want my accounts to be zeroed so I can fully close them both, well, I have attempted closing the credit but that didn't work so I'm lost for ideas.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @CalJay41

Welcome back to the PayPal Community! 

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your PayPal account. It sounds like you're referring to a PayPal Credit account. To get an updated status on closing your account, you'll want to reach out to PayPal Credit's Customer Support. You can locate their contact information on our Help Center here: How do I close my PayPal Credit account? When you receive a refund, the refund will automatically be returned to your original payment method. On average, it'll take three to five business days to show with most financial institutions. However, some can take up to 30 days to reflect the money in your balance. If you click on the refund within your PayPal account, it should open your original transaction ID so you can see what it was related to. You can also download a transaction history to look for related charges. 

Regarding the "canceled, payment sent" status, that typically appears when we have sent an instant transfer for you, but then the transaction is later canceled. An instant transfer is when we send the money to the merchant on your behalf. Then we wait for your bank to reimburse us for the transaction as an eCheck. If we don't receive the eCheck, the payment may be canceled altogether. I believe this is likely what happened based on your description. It's not common for an instant transfer to be canceled because the merchant may have already shipped an item. Usually, when we don't receive an eCheck, the balance falls negative for the amount we sent to the merchant. Since you mentioned you have a small negative balance, I believe there may have been two eChecks that didn't clear. A negative balance can be resolved by adding money to the account or making a purchase. When you make a purchase, the negative balance will be debited in addition to the purchase. 

I hope I was able to help sort out some of the confusion. You can reach Customer Support for more account-specific answers by selecting 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal web page. Support is also available if you send a DM to @AskPayPal on Twitter or a PM to facebook.com/PayPal

Have a great day! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.