Paypal Mastercard not working with Paypal account

plumtreeee
Contributor
Contributor

I received my PayPal Mastercard yesterday, and activated it. The card does work by itself as a credit card. However, I cannot use it with my PayPal account.

I have called Paypal CS, who transferred me internally a few times before transferring me to Paypal Mastercard CS at Synchrony. Synchrony CS said they couldn't do anything because this is an internal Paypal problem, so now I don't know what to do.

Here are the errors I receive when I try to add it/use it in a variety of ways:

1. I try to make it my default payment method when I log into paypal directly. I get this error message:

plumtreeee_0-1651159015438.png

2. I try to add it as a new payment method when I log into paypal directly. I get this error message:

plumtreeee_1-1651159060016.png

3. I try to add the card during checkout at a merchant (that accepts mastercard, and also accepts the card by itself):

plumtreeee_2-1651159381305.png

3a. The card does not show up in my wallet during checkout, despite showing up in my wallet when I log into Paypal directly. Paypal customer support says they cannot see the card in my account. I cannot remove the card from my Paypal account, like I can my other cards.

4. I try to checkout at this same merchant as a Paypal guest (ie not logged into my PP account).

plumtreeee_3-1651159581088.png

4a. I also tried both methods at a different merchant too, which did not work.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

plumtreeee
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal account review team was able to help. They said this is a known issue with a few reports so far (being unable to use PP branded cards with PP, some for replacement cards, and some for new cards), and that the only solution they have for it currently is just waiting a few days. Apparently, the longest it takes to resolve by itself is about 5 days. Hopefully this works!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

plumtreeee
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal account review team was able to help. They said this is a known issue with a few reports so far (being unable to use PP branded cards with PP, some for replacement cards, and some for new cards), and that the only solution they have for it currently is just waiting a few days. Apparently, the longest it takes to resolve by itself is about 5 days. Hopefully this works!

Login to Me Too

JFLO2020
New Community Member

I have never been on an app or website where I can not find my darn mastercard to pay, check balance easy or see my rewards. Last time when chatting with someone online for an hour they could not tell me where to find my items that earned the rewards. Well now heck I can't even find the activity where the link is to look at my mastercard. What on earth is going on? Should be one of the first things that pop up on the Paypal account. One of the most confusing websites and apps. Trying to get in touch with someone is nearly impossible especially when working and have about 10 minutes and they transfer you to about 10 people in answering one simple question. If someone can give me the link to the bank for the mastercard paypal card that would be great and helpful from the community that also seems very frustrated as well! 

Login to Me Too

Chargrad
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this exact same issue. I can't find my mastercard online to see statements or make payments, but somehow an automatic payment comes out every month. I am ready to cancel the card and pay off the balance. I've spoken to so many people and they just just transfer you around. Horrible experience. 

Login to Me Too

thebar
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem with a replacement cash back card and the previous solution did not work. After 6 calls where I got transferred back and forth between Paypal customer service and Synchrony Bank promising the problem would be fixed I asked for and got to a Paypal supervisor. He traced the problem and found Synchrony Bank was showing the card was closed even though I could use the card everywhere but Paypal. Finding the card was showing up as closed at Paypal was the key to solving the problem. I asked the Paypal supervisor to place a 3 way call with me to Synchrony. At Synchrony the Paypal supervisor had to identify himself and ask for a Synchrony supervisor. The Synchrony supervisor researched and found they had not linked the new card correctly to Paypal. After they relinked and after 48 hours I was able to set the card as default and use it thru Paypal.

Login to Me Too

ideekay1
Contributor
Contributor

I have finally found a fix to this after months of my PayPal Cashback card not working exclusively through PayPal. The physical card and entering card details manually worked, but the 3% cashback method of using it through PayPal was my only problem.

TL:DR, there's a virtual card number along with your physical card number. The virtual card number is used for that 3% cashback route through PayPal, and that can have a separate restriction on it than the physical card number.

PayPal just had to unrestrict my virtual card number and I was able to use my PayPal Cashback card through PayPal once again. If you want more info on the virtual card number, you can go to Settings > Payments and if your PayPal Cashback card (shows as PayPal Mastercard for me) is set to preferred, you'll notice the last 4 digits aren't the same as the physical card number.

Login to Me Too

fafdsafadsfasd
Contributor
Contributor

@ideekay1I've been back and forth with Synchrony and Paypal multiple times and I've had the same issue. How did you get them to unrestrict that number?

Login to Me Too

ideekay1
Contributor
Contributor
I had to do it in the phone. I cannot remember if it was PayPal or Synchrony, but I’m leaning towards it being done via PayPal. It took several phone calls and many “give it 24 hours and call back if it still happens” before one rep saw the restriction on the virtual card number. Hope you’re able to get it!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.