PayPal link linked to wrong page

Moeyuri7
New Community Member
I recently made a transaction with an artist to make a comic. He used PayPal link to send me his info to pay. However, the page that was pulled up was not his, so the money was sent to a different vendor. I've been trying to stop the payment or cancel it, but all I get from PayPal customer service is "we can't cancel it or stop it." I even tried pushing the transaction into the dispute center, but it never works. It always says that the transaction has an open dispute, but whenever I try to proceed it just gives me an error message.
Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Moeyuri7 

how did you send the funds? if friends/family then not a lot you can do about it.

if goods/services then open a dispute for non receipt of item.

do not open a dispute for unauthorised as that is telling paypal you were hacked and did not make the transaction when you did. They would check IP and close it when they saw it was authorised by you.

lastly if nothing works and you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact them for a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nchavez1
New Community Member

I had the same exact issue, told paypal about it twice and they did nothing about it. I also called them and the person on the line thought there was just a typo in the link. But it is an actual issue with the paypal.me pages redirecting. My husband managed to get a screenshot of the issue in action. He was going to my paypal.me link and it redirected him to E-auction services page. Paypal basically can't find the URL and tries (incorrectly) to redirect the user to the correct account. Or it could be caching stale data. 

This is a SERIOUS issue because I have gotten some payments from random people, who do not know my paypal.me link. They are trying to pay someone else and getting redirected to me and then I have to issue a return for them.  I had someone try to send  me money and they accidentally sent it to someone else. This is the only post I have found of someone else having this issue as well. I have network logs as well, but can't seem to attach them here. 
paypal_redirect2.PNG

paypal_redirect.png

Login to Me Too

agsrick
New Community Member

I have been having the same problem.  I have a PayPal.me link on a mailchimp landing page.  I have had at least four people tell me that when they select the link they are pointed to someone else's PayPal account.  One person tried it a second time and was directed to another incorrect account.  When they asked to party to refund the money sent in error, the vendor said the same thing has happened to them.  This seems to be problem for a number of folks.  I have not been able to duplicate the problem and can't figure out where the link change is being made.  The link works fine for me as well as others.  I cannot figure out a way to report the problem to PayPal.  This is a very troubling problem.

Login to Me Too

nitindas
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing is happening to my account. Paypal.me is linking to random accounts in different countries. All my donations are vanishing off to some unknown accounts.

Login to Me Too

michellekn
Contributor
Contributor

Don't have a solution unfortunately - but am seeing the same issue intermittently with my customers.

I noticed these were posted a couple months ago, has anyone seen any progress with PayPal addressing this issue?

Login to Me Too

Karyudo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a very small-potatoes seller, and I've also had this exact problem with my PayPal.me link.

We get a bunch of people who place an order on our Google Form, and then never seem to make their payment via our PayPal.me link. When we get in touch, a number of our customers have screen shots of payments made, but to completely random accounts (that aren't ours, obviously)!

This seems to have started in early 2021, and is continuing even now.

This is a MAJOR problem! C'mon, PayPal! You've got some fixing to do!

Login to Me Too

Has anyone had any luck with getting the money back? I reached out to pay pal and they refuse to believe the system is what caused this. They are looking into and my client also filed a dispute u ret sending the money to the wrong person
Login to Me Too

Karyudo
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, no resolution. I phoned PayPal and had a lengthy and very pleasant and earnest conversation with someone who took all the information for their devs and promised an answer within 72 hours. That was about 2800 hours ago. Still no answer.

My solution was to stop taking PayPal. I switched to a Square store, and that's been great.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.