PayPal app eating both CPU and battery--even after uninstalling it

Ba-da-damm
New Community Member

I hadn't opened the PayPal app in weeks, but these past few days I kept getting warnings on my phone (Samsung Galaxy A32, Android 11) that PayPal was using too much CPU. This happened daily. I also found out that the app had been using 25 % of the battery. So I uninstalled it yesterday.

Today the CPU warning is back, but for "com.paypal.android.p2pmobile", which is using 12 % of the CPU and also draining the battery. Despite having been uninstalled.

A quick google search also found a Reddit thread with other Samsung Galaxy users who reported the same problem.

How do I get rid of the com.paypal-thing, when I already uninstalled the app? I can't have my smartphone slowed down and drained daily by an app that's neither in use nor installed.

(And in case someone from PayPal is reading this: I first emailed the email address provided for app feedback in Google Play. Got an automated response saying I should log into the app to contact you, if there's an issue. Has it occurred to you that people are more likely to need to contact you, if there's a problem with the app, and that they might not be able to access the contact information provided in the app?

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

yimtland
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem on my new Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 phone.  This is a relatively recent behavior associated with the PayPal App on Android.  I too had to uninstall the app completely from my phone to eliminate the continual battery drain and high CPU usage.  I'm forced to use the PayPal website now from my laptop's browser to manage my account.  I hope this issue is resolved quickly.

Login to Me Too

Anji89
New Community Member
I have the exact same issue. Realme 6i android 11 version. It's draining my battery left and right. Please any solution will help. I'm trying to avoid reset
Login to Me Too

BeaBea22
New Community Member

I have the same issue with Samsung S21 FE 5G. Super annoying...this app is never going back on my phone. Nice answer there haven't been enough complaints. Well buckle up!

Login to Me Too

cpuhogger
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue on my Galaxy Note 9 and it's driving me nuts.

307566426_10104173784989447_1975513126537807466_n.jpg

Login to Me Too

JamesD1985
New Community Member
Having the same issue for about a week. Uninstalled the app and now get the same message about com.paypal.android.p2pmobile and can't figure out how to remove it.
Login to Me Too

cpuhogger
Contributor
Contributor

After uninstalling it, you will need to restart the phone in order to see it completely gone. 

This will fix the issue. 

Login to Me Too

JoyUnleashed
New Community Member
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm getting these issues on a Samsung S20 FE 5G. Android 12. I genuinely hope PayPal is listening because I use it for a lot of different payments online. Background CPU & battery usage are at completely unacceptable levels and a fix obviously needs engineering sooner than later. By all appearances there are enough people concerned (read - suffering from) with the issues! Let's go PayPal! Get it done!
Login to Me Too

Crawlerin
New Community Member

Same here. Samsung Galaxy A41 with Android 12. Uninstalled and I will most likely never use it again ( I don't like apps for everything anyway when website will do).

Login to Me Too

5am5on99
Galaxy A41. Exactly the same even after uninstall of PayPal app and several restarts. Battery don't last half the day. I've emailed Samsung and PayPal and neither replied. Totally frustrated
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.