PayPal Credit no account fraud

JoyeCaley
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved a letter from Wescot debt collectors detailing a large amount of unpaid credit through my old Paypal account. Considering I've not used the account since 2020, I know it is some kind of fraud, but when I log in to the account, I cannot even find any Paypal Credit linked to the account, nor any statements for it either. Help! 😞

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Megan

Hey there @JoyeCaley,

Welcome to the PayPal Community!

I can certainly see why this would be a concerning thing to receive and I'm sorry this happened. 

Do you remember if you ever opened a PayPal Credit line of credit when you signed up with us? If so, you may want to search your email for anything we may have sent you about your PayPal Credit account. 

If you had an outstanding balance on your PayPal Credit account, it is possible it would have been sent to an outside collection agency after a certain period of time. Since PayPal Credit is operated by Synchrony Bank, you will need to reach out to them for assistance with any PayPal Credit inquiries. You may also need to reach out to the collections agency directly for more details.

Our PayPal Customer Support would be unable to access information on issues related to PayPal Credit, but they would be able to determine whether you ever had an active PayPal Credit line on your account. You can reach out to us by selecting "Contact," at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I do hope you're able to get this taken care of as soon as possible!

Have a great day.

-Megan S.

If you find this response or any other post helpful, you can make our Community better by giving Kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

JoyeCaley
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Meghan,

Thank you for your response! It's ended up being a very strange situation, I spoke to Synchrony, who ran all and every detail we could think of to find me on the system and they have no record of me at all, not even a failed application for credit. I'm not sure who has managed to get my information and open a credit account not under my name and yet I'm still getting the bill!? 😞

I've reported to ActionFraud and am hoping for the identity fraud to be resolved however, it has made me very skepital of Paypal and PayPal Credit's protection of its customers in this regard!

Best wishes,

Joy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.