PayPal Credit Dead Person's SSN Put on my Account & "Deceased Notice"

mercyfulfate
Contributor
Contributor

Original Post
1st Update

The saga continues.

Brief recap: My last successful automatic payment that was received was back around June 12, 2021. My last purchase through PayPal Credit went through on June 30. Since sometime between the 1st of July and 12th of July, my PayPal Credit quit working. It disappeared from my PayPal Account screen. It's the "You're eligible for PayPal Credit!" picture instead. I've called. I've messaged. I've been given the run around. It was as if I never had it. (The Original Post and 1st Update explain all that.)

Fast forward to August 19th and allegedly, my social security # does not match the social security # on file. All of the other information (name, address, phone number, email address and birthday) do match. The social security # on file allegedly belongs to a "deceased person". How the heck a deceased person's social wound up attached to my PayPal Credit account which is like 8-10 years old (all the way back to the BillMeLater days) is beyond me.

So I have been back and forth with the customer service about this. Finally someone said "mail us a copy of your license and social security card" - not happening. Then they said (after saying they can't do faxes) that I could fax the information. They also wanted a notarized letter saying I am the owner, I am alive and please put my social back on the account and remove this "deceased person". I spoke to a local lawyer and my local primary bank and both said under no circumstance should you do send anyone your social security card, even a copy. I told PayPal Credit phone customer service this. Now they say, "ok, ok... send us a copy of your license and a notarized letter with the the aforementioned stuff and include the last 4 digits of your social... and you can fax it" - so I do all this and in the letter it says "the notary has seen my social security card and can verify that it ends in the last 4 digits that are in the letter". I fax this off. I was also able to confirm that the social security number that they are showing on the account (not my real one) is the one that is listed as deceased.

My social appears to be clear with the credit reporting agencies since I had my primary bank run a hard credit check the other day for a mortgage loan. I will be going to the Social Security Administration on Thursday to double check this. I have poured at least 12-15 hours into driving around, calling different agencies, sitting on customer service calls, etc and I'm not closer to a solution than when I first noticed the July autopay didn't go through. I first notified PayPal Credit / Synchrony Bank of the issue on July 19, 2021.

It has been over a week since I submitted all the paperwork requested and the 3 business days is long past for them to "implement the fix" and today I receive a letter dated for the 31st of August (2 or 3 business days after my fax was received) from PayPal Credit / Synchrony Bank saying "We're so sorry for your loss, now you will be dealing with "blankety blank company" which is the company we use to deal with deceased individual's accounts... basically it's the dead person debt collection agency they use. I called the number and it was a collection agency.

How do I get hold of someone at Synchrony Bank who deals with the PayPal Credit division WHO CARES ABOUT FIXING A CUSTOMER'S PROBLEM THAT ONE OF THEIR PEOPLE OR THEIR SYSTEM CREATED?! For over two months no one has actually helped me get any closer to fixing this. I just want to pay off the account and close it at this point and they won't even let me do that. The burden of proof is thrown on me when it was them who messed this up to begin with. I asked them to flag the account so it wouldn't get sent to collections. They would not flag the account to not be sent to collections. I asked if I could just pay off the balance even if it was someone else's social tied to the account. They would not let me make a payment and just zero the account out. They didn't actually fix the account when I sent them what they asked for. No one has even called me about the paperwork I sent. 

I NOTICED THE PROBLEM AND CONTACTED THEM! The only contact I have had at all INITIATED BY PayPal Credit is this "we're sorry your loved one died now we need to arrange for someone to pay up" letter. I have even received regular bills in the mail like usual.

Can someone please help me.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

mercyfulfate
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you to the Moderator who un-spammed this. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.