PayPal Cashback World MasterCard page mistakenly says "No Transactions Since Last Statement"

Matt977
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal issued me a PayPal Cashback World MasterCard in September. I've been paying off my balances in full at the end of each statement cycle. This month, I've made several purchases using the card. Some of them have been in person, so not through PayPal and some online through PayPal. When I log into PayPal and go to the PayPal Cashback World MasterCard page, it says "No Transactions Since Last Statement" even though there have been some. The account shows a balance, which is not the same as the total of my purchases using the card, and the Total Credit minus the Available Credit is not the same as either of these. The transactions that went through PayPal do show up on the PayPal Activity page even though they don't show on the MasterCard page. What is going on? Have others had this experience? If so, does this typically resolve when the next statement cycle closes?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sanesoft
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem - I make a lot of transactions and none of them shows up.

This is the third level of frustration. The first one was when I found that I couldn't download transactions electronically to my accounting software because there's no Synchrony account credentials. The other one came a month or so ago when I could no longer download transactions in OFX format manually. And now I cannot see any activity at all! How do I deal with potential frauds until I get the statement? That's a question I'd like PayPal to answer.

Login to Me Too

sanesoft
Contributor
Contributor

sanesoft_0-1669292429312.png

...and it's only getting more ridiculous: even after the statement is ready, I cannot download it. It's level #4! 

Login to Me Too

Matt977
Contributor
Contributor

Being unable to download a statement happened to me once. But a few weeks later I tried again and was able to download it.

Login to Me Too

Matt977
Contributor
Contributor

On closer examination, I decided that the difference between Total Credit Line and Available Credit does approximately match to the transactions that I have incurred since the last time I paid off the balance in full. So, even though the Balance showing for the PayPal Cashback MasterCard doesn't reflect all the transactions, the Available Credit can be used. This means maintaining a separate spreadsheet of all purchases made via the card directly, or via PayPal when using the card. Since you've got a lot of transactions, this could be a pain.

Another thing I found that is helpful - turn on alerts for purchases. Then you get an email with each transaction that used the card, so have a record of those. If there is fraud, this could help. I just started this, so I don't know yet how reliable it is.

For download, the only option I've found so far is to download PayPal transactions and extract from those the ones that apply to MasterCard purchases. However, this won't include uses of the card that don't go through PayPal.

Login to Me Too

usc1145e

@sanesoft 

have you checked if the software you use created a different instance for this credit card name? you need to use the correct instance and log in with your paypal credentials. the old instance used to connect to paypal cc (synchrony website) should not work anymore. hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

vtdrummer
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.  I check this account daily and starting 11/23/22, I can only see cleared transaction that were made through Paypal, no transaction made with the card itself is there, pending or otherwise.   

Login to Me Too

Matt977
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding: "I check this account daily and starting 11/23/22, I can only see cleared transaction that were made through Paypal, no transaction made with the card itself is there, pending or otherwise."

That's interesting. Now that you mention it, something like that happened to me too. If I go to the PayPal Activity page, I can see cleared transactions that went through PayPal. On the MasterCard page, there are no transactions. And it could have been on 11/22 or around then, I did see pending transactions on the MasterCard page. Then suddenly nothing, and it could have started on 11/23. So unhelpful!!!

Login to Me Too

Matt977
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like the MasterCard balance catches up over time. I can track it on a spreadsheet with the purchases that I know I have made. It looks like, the available balance changes include pending transactions while the card balance only includes cleared transactions. If I incur new transactions all the time, I expect that these will never be in sync, since there will always be some pending transactions.

Login to Me Too

vtdrummer
Contributor
Contributor

You're right, the "Current Balance" only reflects completed or cleared transactions.  The "Available Credit" includes any pending transactions.  It rounds to the nearest dollar, sometimes up and sometimes down, so if you're using a spreadsheet to reconcile against this, it's usually off by a little bit.  This is my primary card and I've been recording and logging transactions on this card daily for almost 4 1/2 years (over 5000 transactions), and pending transactions have always been visible on the website instantly.  Now there's virtually no transaction information at all.  I've tried to use their paypal assistant "live" chat feature to reach someone to see if this is a known issue and ETA on a fix, but after more than 24 hours there's been no reply.  I'm hoping that's just because of the holiday and they'll get back to me today.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.