Pay in 4 Transaction on a Failed Order

Pascal943
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to purchase an item online and the store has all purchases go through PayPal Express. I signed into PayPal and saw the option for Pay in 4 and selected it. The payment went through on Paypal's end, but when I was redirected back to the store, I received an error saying the payment method was invalid. I tried to pay again, this time paying the full amount and directly entering my card into the PayPal Express window and it successfully went through. However I'm still getting charged the Pay in 4 even though there's no order attached to it.

I received a confirmation receipt email for the second attempt (where I used my card), but I don't have any confirmation that the first attempt actually went through. On PayPal only the Pay in 4 is listed and I didn't receive a confirmation email for that transaction. On my bank account both transactions are listed.

Is there a way to cancel this? Will it cancel on its own because the order failed? If I end up with two items, I'll just return one of them, but I don't want to be charged twice for one order.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

stoggy
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar problem. The order failed similarly to yours only I didn't get any warning of an error. They just charged me without consent or a completed order. Did you ever get your money back?

Login to Me Too

Pascal943
Contributor
Contributor

In a way, yes. After several days the transaction failed and cancelled itself. It was removed from my pending transactions and no longer shows up on my bank account or Paypal account.

I don't know if your transaction already went through, but mine was in "pending" status for a long time. I had also called my bank and notified them that money was being taken out of my account in error, so that may have something to do with it.

Login to Me Too

stoggy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply Pascal. I guess I just have to wait and live with the terrible service too.

I guess it is just a user beware situation. This error completely meesed up my purchase and now I can't even purchase the item anymore so I'm kind of upset with paypal right now. If they would release the money instead of just remove the authorization I could have but they don't seem to have any control over it. 😞

Login to Me Too

Pascal943
Contributor
Contributor

I get it. 😕 Paypal didn't respond to my messages until the situation was already resolved and there was no way for me to get a response from a Paypal associate before then. The only solution seems to be to wait for the transaction to process. 😞 Looking at the other threads, this is a common issue, so I won't be using Pay in 4 any time soon. My card ended up getting restricted by the bank because of the whole thing (it's fine now).

Login to Me Too

ChristianRock
Contributor
Contributor
I didn’t get any email or nothing for the pay in 4,, but I still got charged
Login to Me Too

bryan124
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me, did you ever get your money back ?
Login to Me Too

Pascal943
Contributor
Contributor

@bryan124 Yeah, they eventually refunded me.

Login to Me Too

Pascal943
Contributor
Contributor

@ChristianRock I would contact your bank if they aren't responsive.

Login to Me Too

SGA94
New Community Member

Something similar happened to me today. I completed a pay in 3 checkout through Paypal for an item on Argos but it never completed the order despite taking the £100 from my bank account. Now it just says it's "pending authorization". I've spoken to an online assistant and they said I'll get it back within 7 working days but I'm not holding my breath! I will have to contact my bank to make sure the other 2 payments aren't taken.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.