Pay in 4 Denial - Unusual Activity and Double Charge

markusamari
New Community Member

I was attempting to get in on some Black Friday deals when they dropped and went to pay with PayPal Checkout and saw the new Pay in 4 option. I accepted all the terms and linked it with my debit card then it kicked me back to the merchant to complete the transaction... but it couldn't go through. I attempted again through PayPal but I was just going to use my card and this time it didn't even present an option for Pay in 4. I proceeded like normal and again the merchant said something went wrong and couldn't complete the order. At this point I was done fooling around with PayPal so I was just going to use my Debit card BUT because of the full purchase amount PLUS the Pay in 4 initial payment still showing on my account even though no transaction was completed, my account was slightly overdrafted and I couldn't complete my purchase nor can I use my Debit card for anything.

I tried getting a hold of PayPal customer service to clear up the pending transactions and saw that the reason that they denied my initial Pay in 4 was for "Unusual Activity" despite the fact that I have been regularly using my PayPal for all of my holiday purchases. This is a very vague reason and doesn't explain why they charged me the first Pay in 4 payment AND the full amount when the order isn't even being completed. Customer Service is a joke too with the bot and phone just being in an automated loop to keep you away from actually talking to someone for immediate resolution. I probably could have gotten a faster reply sending my help ticket through physical mail.

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

TwoTabs
Contributor
Contributor
This is because they don't give a damn about their customers. Obviously there is something that can be done about it but they choose to ignore the problem and keep making people angry. Working in IT for as long as I have there is always a solution to every problem and ignoring it is only going to make things worse
Login to Me Too

heathwtalley
New Community Member
Same thing has happened to me twice now. At one point I had $100 tied up for a week. I’m done with this pay in 4, more hassle than its worth
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.