Pay in 3 failed but money taken from bank account

Burak44
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I was buying musical instruments worth £240.33 and I chose to pay with PayPal in order to avoid form filling procedures. After logging in to my PayPal account, I saw the Pay in 3 option and I decided to give it a try. Loading indicator span for about a minute and I received a failed message, then I got redirected to previous screen. So I thought I should pay all in once instead of wasting my time and I made the payment. Everything went well, merchant processed my order and even shipped the items. However, I just realized PayPal charged me £80.11 for the first installment of 'Pay in 3' thing which already failed and money deducted from my bank account. When I check its status, it says 'This is a temporary authorization to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when your transaction is COMPLETED.' The thing is, I'm already CHARGED before anything is completed. There is no any option to cancel it and when I wanted to report this issue in Resolution Center all I see is:

Unable to complete your request

We’re sorry, you can’t file a case on this type of transaction. Please refer to our User Agreement for more details.

Is this a joke? Who am I going to talk to about this ridiculous problem?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Burak44
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to talk to someone through Message Center early this morning and was told transaction expires after 3 days if seller does not capture the payment. Seller did not recognize my payment as it already failed in the first place and PayPal eventually reversed my money back now after 3 days. Best you can do is contacting the merchant to make sure they won't capture your 'Pay in 4' payment (probably they are not be able to do that anyway)  since you already paid outright and waiting until the transaction expires.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

JeremyFan
New Community Member

I just had the exactly same problem like yours. give paying4 a go and ended up paying outright but still got a deduction from payin4 showed in my bank account.

May I ask if you have solved the problem?

all I can do is just to leave a message to PayPal and wait for them to get back to me.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Burak44
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to talk to someone through Message Center early this morning and was told transaction expires after 3 days if seller does not capture the payment. Seller did not recognize my payment as it already failed in the first place and PayPal eventually reversed my money back now after 3 days. Best you can do is contacting the merchant to make sure they won't capture your 'Pay in 4' payment (probably they are not be able to do that anyway)  since you already paid outright and waiting until the transaction expires.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

Jlreed1978
New Community Member
I have had this happen to me this evening but the failed thing happened twice and I've been charged 2 payments even though the transaction wasn't completed!!
Login to Me Too

Stonky
Contributor
Contributor
I just tried pay in 3 for first time the first attempt didn’t seem to go through and took me back I think so I tried again and my order went through. Now I noticed two first instalments have gone out and I cannot request a refund on one of them! Not sure what to do now tried the messaging service early hours though no luck will just have to try again tomo and hope for the best
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.