New Zettle Reader...Chip Reader Function not working?

SRTWY
Contributor
Contributor

Former Paypal Here user; like most of you we've been forced to switch to Zettle with the impending discontinuation of Here.

Received our Zettle reader today and all went smoothly...except the chip reader literally doesn't work.  As soon as you insert the card, it says "transaction cancelled" and you have to either key it in (higher fee and takes longer) or use contactless (not available on all cards and to my knowledge has a limit on size of transaction).

Has anyone else had this issue, or did we get a faulty reader right off the bat?  If it's the latter, I'm thoroughly unimpressed.  Not only are we being forced to switch, but then I paid $10 to overnight the thing and it takes a week to get here....and when it finally does, it doesn't even function correctly.

Not looking forward to dealing with Customer Service and trying to go through the replacement process, so was just wondering if anyone had encountered a similar issue and/or had a solution.

For reference, yes....both the device software and the app are up-to-date, the reader is fully connected to the phone/app, the reader has been fully restarted multiple times, etc.  We're pretty tech-capable and not new to the game.

Tl;dr:  Contactless and keying works on Zettle reader, but chip reader function was dead on arrival.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @SRTWY

Welcome back to the Community! 

I understand that the chip reader isn't working on your new Zettle card reader, and I apologize for the frustration this has caused. You can find troubleshooting steps for the Zettle card reader on our Help Center. However, your situation does sound unique to me. I recommend reaching out to our Customer Support for further assistance by selecting 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. 

I hope your reader starts working soon or you receive a speedy replacement! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

NoisyNeighbors
New Community Member
Unfortunately, this is not a unique situation. We just received our card reader, and we are experiencing the same issue. When inserting the chip, it reads "transaction canceled" and says you can see more info in the receipts section, where it doesn't show any history of the transaction. I have heard some people have to disconnect/ reconnect every time they want to accept a new card. This is pretty frustrating, especially since we never had these issues with the Paypal Here app. Hopefully this will be patched with a zettle app update soon, as we are literally losing money on transactions that can't be completed.
Login to Me Too

RFPA
New Community Member
We are also experiencing this same problem with our Zettle Reader 2; inserted card transactions all result in “transaction failed”.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.