Is the Paypal prepaid card a scam?

JEdHall
Contributor
Contributor

I was needing a way to keep my money safe, and to be able to spend it online. After looking over various options, I decided to go with PayPal's branded prepaid Mastercard, which advertises that it can be linked to a Paypal account and reloaded - excellent for my needs.

At least, it would be if the card actually worked. Thus far, I have been left with a useless chunk of plastic, and frustration at every turn. With any other prepaid card I've ever used, I was able to get it set up and usable in minutes. Not so here. The website redirects to a different address, where there is no obvious option for processing a card already purchased in a store. When I finally found the activation option, the page wouldn't send the information entered on the first page to proceed to the next step. I eventually managed through the phone system to register the card, and indeed the automated system confirms the balance that should be on it.

However, despite the packaging and card both claiming that it is a Mastercard, valid wherever Mastercard is accepted, website vendors will not accept the card as valid.

Trying to link the card to my Paypal account, an advertised feature that I specifically chose this card for, does not work. There is no explanation for this. The process just fails with an ambiguous error and tells me it can't be done at this time.

Trying to process a payment through Paypal, using the card as a payment method, results in being informed that the card has been declined. No reason is given. Why is Paypal declining their own card as a payment method?

So, my questions are...

1. Do these cards even work?
  2. Will I at some point be able to spend my money?
  3. Why won't Paypal accept a Paypal branded (and presumably issued) card?
  4. Is there a way to get my money back so I can put it on a card that actually works other than taking Paypal to court?
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

mattchavez
New Community Member

Same problem for me, and under every thread like this one not a single paypal representative has said a word. So my guess? It's a scam to get you financially tied to paypal.

Login to Me Too

LemurLimu
New Community Member
I bought one 4 hours ago and I am going with 'yes, it's a scam.' I can't transfer any money from my PayPal account. Ive been reading many threads here and it is the same problem for EVERYONE with no resolution. There were instructions given a couple times , but I can't find anything that says 'Seller preferences' or 'API access'. Even googled around to see if anyone listed. Those able to somehow transfer money some can't use the card. When you attempt to transfer it clearly states you can't transfer back. So they lost out on the funds. I was depending on this for the weekend, so I'm in some trouble. However, I am glad I wasn't able to transfer the $200 I initially requested. I've always liked PayPal for paying people and moving money to my bank account, but now I am looking for other options because if this. (But let's face it. I'll use it cause the only other option is Venmo. )
Login to Me Too

singingwolf
Contributor
Contributor

As you got it in a store I would put it back onto the store to resolve or refund you. They sold it to you so they need to make sure its working as described on the packing etc. If they escalate the issue i suspect they will get a response.

Login to Me Too

Mitchellbros
Contributor
Contributor
It's not a scam but it's a useless card for several reasons. 1)There's a monthly fee 2)You can't add money to your PayPal account when you reload it. It does not communicate with your PayPal balance 3) You can't transfer money from your Prepaid card to your PayPal account Solution: Get a PayPal Debit card directly from PayPal. It will do all of the above with no problems.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.