Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
ksanchez0817
Contributor
Posted on

I received a fraud invoice today, logged in to my account to make sure that was even a real email...and sure enough I have an invoice in my paypal account for 499$, now these scammers but something stating I used their service and put my payment on autopay...Now my issue is paypal says " Unable to process request. We are sorry, you can't file a case on this type pf transaction. Please refer to our user agreement for more details". If I go to my activity and click cancel it says "invoice no longer available". I have logged out and back in thinking paypal caught this as a fraud and deleted it...it still shows up in my activity and now as "pending" but still has a pay and cancel button. I contacted them via "message us" but received no reply and the call center is closed. Another weird thing to add is they sent the invoice 05/07/2022, with a due date in the past, I am worried they will take money out of one of my accounts and it doesn't even matter if I erase my cards a warning comes up saying "even if you remove this card if their are pending transactions we will still charge the card" What do I do or what can I do to get this off my account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@ksanchez0817 

Anyone can send you an invoice, scammers collect email addresses and send out hundreds of invoices daily in the hope the recipient has a paypal account and so it will go through.

Doesn't mean you have to pay it !!

Either cancel it or ignore it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Solved

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@ksanchez0817 

Anyone can send you an invoice, scammers collect email addresses and send out hundreds of invoices daily in the hope the recipient has a paypal account and so it will go through.

Doesn't mean you have to pay it !!

Either cancel it or ignore it.

Advice is voluntary.

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
Kdohman21
Contributor

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
Susanfarm
Contributor

Same issue. 3 invoices for $499 on 5/10/22. 

Tried to cancel but reply is "invoice no longer available."

Wondering if somehow Paypal will acknowledge my attempts to cancel. 

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
Gmitchell
New Community Member

I guess I got lucky, the $499 one I got for "services" was able to be cancelled.

I would suspect that the reason you're getting "unavailable" instead is because it has already been identified/flagged from one of the other recipients they scatter-bombed, and that you would get the same message if you tried to "pay invoice".  I definitely wouldn't count on that, especially given that the only communication from PayPal is that they don't allow you to report this "type of item".. for more information please consult our terms of service--a document that does not describe item types at all, specify what you're permitted to report, or contain the word "invoice" once.  In fact, given those things, I have very little faith in PayPal at all.  So if you find a way to contact a customer service person over it, that's probably a good idea for your own peace of mind. Perhaps we also should throw in a suggestion that they start allowing that type of fraud to be reported instead of requiring that it sit on your account as a pending item forever. Sure seems like a reasonable request for even a halfway functional company..

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested otherwise or not, but I also would very strongly discourage anyone from contacting the sender of the invoice, or using any of the links or phone numbers it contains.  Those may in fact be the true payload of the scam, getting people to call their fraud center and opt-in to further scamming.

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
ksanchez0817
Contributor
I actually contacted PayPal they said we can just ignore them, and we are not obligated to pay. I have gotten about 3 more invoices saying they same thing. I think they need to do better at flagging these and deactivating these scammers accounts because it’s just annoying lol

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@ksanchez0817 

Mentioned that 3 posts up from yours.

Advice is voluntary.

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
ksanchez0817
Contributor
Yes I see you take points very serious on here. I still didn’t have my reply from PayPal yet. Don’t worry I will count you as the smart fast person on here.

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@ksanchez0817 

Not the point, if you are going to contact customer services for the answer to your question then feel free to do so.

It wastes folks time to find and post the answer for you just to find you didn't need it posting.

Could have helped someone that did need help in that time.

Advice is voluntary.

Fraud invoice

Options
Go to solution
ksanchez0817
Contributor
I actually contacted customer service…then posted this. Because this is a California based company no one was available at 3 am to answer my concerns, hence me posting here and having the pleasure of meeting a human like you 🙂 And just like your reply, you could have ignore my thread. You were first to answer and that doesn’t mean you are correct or incorrect! I was waiting to see if others had the same issue, and as you can see they did. You also said to cancel the invoice, but as I previously said it wouldn’t allow me to because I was not the sender of the invoice I was not allowed. So I was wasting no one’s time to see other replies. And in my waiting time PayPal contacted me…days later saying to ignore. You only replied because you want your kudos and I have given them to you no? And I marked your answer as a solution no? So now it’s done and your reply wasted my time, but you don’t care as you got your lovely kudos and solution marked. But AGAIN, to my point, I had the choice to ignore so that will be on me. 😄 Have a lovely day sir/madam.

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.