Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
814 REPLIES 814

sleepdemon
Contributor
Contributor

It's crazy isn't it. It seems to be the most dangerous type of scam as the email from Paypal is totally genuine. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sleepdemon 

If it was showing in your paypal account then its a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams OR the scammers put phone numbers in the ''notes'' section so that as its a genuine paypal invoice you think the phone number is real and call it.

If you do call that number to query the transaction or cancel it they tell you that you need to pay a fee (sent not using Paypal) for them to be able to cancel the payment for you....that is the scam as they know it's unlikely you will click to pay it. 

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at 30 days.

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LJC777
Contributor
Contributor

I also received 3 fake invoices (so far, all in one week) totalling close to $2000 and forwarded all to thier spoof e-mail with no response. I am unable to cancel them and I like other posters am not confortable just leaving them there in case using my account accidently pays them. Is there any way to get rid of them other than closing and deleting my account Ive had for over 15 years and not using pay pal anymore? Does anyone know if pay pal is working on something so that we can delete/cancel these? Help!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LJC777 

Can you Archive the fake invoices right now? Strange that you’re not given option to cancel them. I’ve had unpaid invoices getting canceled years later by customer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

richqw
Contributor
Contributor

I don't want to receive requests to send money. How can I disable that ability?

Login to Me Too

Linda0001
Contributor
Contributor
I’m the same recently had 2 requests for £499 and £699 random people I’m just deleting email and cancelling requests through PayPal wish I knew the answer
Login to Me Too

mariya1129
New Community Member

Wow! I thought I was the only one that received this email. Today at 10:42 am I got an email from [removed] requesting £699. Here is the message: 

Andre [removed] sent you a money request

NOTE FROM Andre [removed]:

SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTION OF £699. 00 GBP TO ASDA GIFT CARDS FOUND IN YOUR ACCOUNT. TO STOP THIS TRANSACTION CALL US IMMEDIATELY @ +4[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/span>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mariya1129 

Scam money request or invoice that shows in your Paypal account..

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out money requests or invoices hoping that some of those email addresses are linked to an open Paypal account.

The unsuspecting recipient is given a fake Paypal phone number in the 'notes' section added by the scammer.
If you did call that number (DO NOT) to query the transaction the scammer tells you that they need to access your computer / Paypal account to cancel that transaction for you.
They will then hack your computer or Paypal account.

Paypal never put phone numbers on emails or in money requests/invoices, they tell you to contact them via help/contact bottom of their website pages.

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and it should time out at 30 days.
As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ksanchez0817
Contributor
Contributor

I received a fraud invoice today, logged in to my account to make sure that was even a real email...and sure enough I have an invoice in my paypal account for 499$, now these scammers but something stating I used their service and put my payment on autopay...Now my issue is paypal says " Unable to process request. We are sorry, you can't file a case on this type pf transaction. Please refer to our user agreement for more details". If I go to my activity and click cancel it says "invoice no longer available". I have logged out and back in thinking paypal caught this as a fraud and deleted it...it still shows up in my activity and now as "pending" but still has a pay and cancel button. I contacted them via "message us" but received no reply and the call center is closed. Another weird thing to add is they sent the invoice 05/07/2022, with a due date in the past, I am worried they will take money out of one of my accounts and it doesn't even matter if I erase my cards a warning comes up saying "even if you remove this card if their are pending transactions we will still charge the card" What do I do or what can I do to get this off my account?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ksanchez0817 

Anyone can send you an invoice, scammers collect email addresses and send out hundreds of invoices daily in the hope the recipient has a paypal account and so it will go through.

Doesn't mean you have to pay it !!

Either cancel it or ignore it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.