Do we have to use Shipstation?

Crafteey
New Community Member

I was excited to see Shipstation as a part of PayPal as I heard there would be discounts, so imagine my surprise when I made my first label today and it was .75 higher to ship!!!  Plus - it looks like I'll have to include dimensions for all packages - where before I could just enter weight when shipping first class.  

This is going to be a pain!!

Can I disable Shipstation and go back to the way things were? I'm not impressed. 

Carrie 

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

SKCollector
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I've used the new shipstation twice (no errors) and the prices so far were the same as priateship was quoting.....this is for two 12x8x4 boxes with priority mail at under 2lbs.

As others have pointed out, USPS has a temporary surcharge in place thru the holidays (thanks Louis DeJoy) so I don't think there's any real surcharge from paypal/shipstation directly.  

I do ship maybe 10-15% using UPS though, so I guess it's pirateship only for that.

One remaining question on shipstation:

- In the old PayPal integration I was able to send a note to my buyers (usually something along the lines of "Here's your tracking info, thank you for your order!).   I don't see anything like this in shipstation.   Am I missing something?  Even if I can't customize anything are my customers getting an automated email after I ship with tracking info?...or is it just radio silence until my customer gets their package?

Login to Me Too

4Crawler
Contributor
Contributor

Go to Settings / Tracking e-mails.  You can set up custom e-mails with the tracking info (default) along with a custom message.  Not as nice as the old PP shipping where you could all that unique to each shipment on the fly.  Now you need to have a boat load of custom e-mails set up before hand and then pick the right one for each shipment.  We have many separate products, sometimes ordered in combinations, so this may get messy in the future, as we put links to installation notes in the ordered items in that e-mail.

Login to Me Too

budman68
Contributor
Contributor

4Crawler, how is it that you're getting into shipstation when all I'm getting is an internal server error page? I ended up going with Pirate Ship yesterday. Took care of all of my shipping, and while it took MUCH longer to load all the address', it was a pretty painless move.

Another thing I don't like about Pirate Ship, is that you have to change your label settings every time you switch from Domestic(USA) to International labels. That kinda sucks, but hopefully they'll add that option later. What's weird is, when you print your label through the "Print" dialog box, you can change the label. The problem is when you start creating an international label, it won't let you continue until you change the label type in the settings. Strange.....

Login to Me Too

4Crawler
Contributor
Contributor

I've mainly been using PirateShip, copying the tracking number from there into the Paypal Add Tracking Info page under the transaction details.

Login to Me Too

crowbarpress
Contributor
Contributor

When you create a new label in PIrate Ship, click on Modify Label, change everything to what you want (Media, International, Priority Flat paper envelope, Priority Flat padded envelope, etc.) and SAVE it as a new template.  Then you can use the drop-down box that fits whatever shipping-type you want.

Login to Me Too

SKCollector
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks 4Crawler,

In Shipstation I went up to Settings under my account in the top right corner and I see:

Ship From Locations | Shipping Presets | Account Settings

I don't see a section for tracking emails listed anywhere.

Login to Me Too

4Crawler
Contributor
Contributor

I see this on the right hand side on the Pirate Station Settings tab (web version if that makes a difference):

• Account Settings

Update your login, password, and email notification settings

• General Settings

Adjust label settings, export file formats, and address correction

• Integrations

Connect ecommerce platforms and synchronize orders

• Payment Method

Choose how you'll pay for the postage

• Saved Packages

Create and modify your most commonly shipped packages

• Ship From Addresses

Set your physical and return addresses

• Tracking Emails

Create shipment notification emails to send to your recipients

I've not found anything like this on ShipStation.

Login to Me Too

SKCollector
Contributor
Contributor

That is so weird, I don't see any of that.  I'm heading to

https://paypal.shipstation.com/orders

Then at the top right I see my paypal account/email address and under that

- Orders

-Settings

-Logout

Clicking on "Settings" takes me to the following options

Ship From Locations | Shipping Presets| Account Settings

All of those pages have just a couple different things, none of them what you're describing.  I suppose I should be happy that it's not erroring out on me at least (sigh)

Login to Me Too

budman68
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for that-
Login to Me Too

forestbather
Contributor
Contributor

do you mean click & ship at USPS online? no; their rates are higher. the rates at pirateship are lower and seem to be about the same as the ebay shipping rates. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.