Can you use a USD PayPal gift card on a UK account?

LRing
Contributor
Contributor
I got a present from a friend but they bought the wrong currency… Just curious as I don’t want to waste the gift card…
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LRing 

Add the card to your PayPal Wallet and confirm it as usual. 

Make a purchase at a US merchant or a merchant accepting USD. PayPal may indicate that there will be conversion to GBP and back to USD. This is because you have a UK/£ based PayPal account.

Click “View conversion options” or similar while paying and choose USD currency to pay in the merchant’s preferred currency.

Another option is to contact customer service to have USD card set to always use USD currency since again, you have a UK/£ based PayPal account.

You can also use card to send money to friends and family (personal payment) in the USA. A fee applies to send money (or personal payment) with a card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LRing
Contributor
Contributor
So it’ll automatically convert to GBP? I think it’ll be a bit tricky to contact customer service as I am about to go abroad so I won’t be able to contact
Login to Me Too

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @LRing,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. 

When you add a card to your PayPal account, it will be automatically set in the currency of your PayPal account. For example if your PayPal account is registered in the UK, then the card currency will be GBP. 

If you want to update the currency of your card, you will need to contact our customer support directly. If you cannot contact us through the 'Help Center', you can contact us via Facebook or Twitter @AskPayPal.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.